/ north ridge kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
shell1670 - on 20 Dec 2012
hi there all,

i'm trying to find out abit of information about the north ridge range from go outdoors. its hard to find reviews. i bought one of the down jackets for the winter and cant fault it. just after a decent waterproof and the matterhorn looks good from go outdoors you tube review. can anyone point me in right direction.

merry christmas
Nath93 - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to shell1670: got a Ballistic 35l pack from them and I can't fault it at all, great bit of kit. Can't say anything for the waterproofs but i think they have had some decent write ups in the past.
Muel - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to shell1670:

Mrs Muel has a North Ridge soft shell that cost her 40, and it's leagues ahead of either of mine. Fantastic piece of kit. I'd have had the men's, but it was 60, which is a bit much for bimbling about on Stanage really.
Flat4matt - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to shell1670:

Got the ballistic 45 pack for about 18quid after discount and its fantastic! Fully featured and reasonably lightweight!
bensilvestre - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to shell1670:

I handle returns in go outdoors Sheffield. We sell a lot of the north ridge line, and the only returns we ever get are a few of the soft shell type products (issues with the material piling up - it's getting better quick though). As far as I'm aware most people rate the jackets pretty well, and I've never had one returned. The waterproof material is very similar to gore, just lacking the marketing and reputation, and maybe slightly heavier. I also have a ballistic 45 and love it. All the ice gear are grivel products with different paint on - so good quality. In my honest opinion it's all fantastic value for money.
shell1670 - on 20 Dec 2012
happy days guys very helpful. think i may have a look in to the matterhorn jacket.
verygneiss - on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to shell1670:

I recently bought a pair of North Ridge walking crampons, and they appear to be Grivel's Monte Rosa model with North Ridge written on the strap, but 10 cheaper than the Monte Rosa (MR 80, NR 70). I field tested them yesterday, and they're great!
puppythedog on 20 Dec 2012
In reply to shell1670: I have a north ridge hardshell which looks like the Matterhorn, Not sure if it is though.

I bought it for 99 and was very happy. I won a Sherpa one recently and there is a difference. the North Ridge is heavier but that also felt reassuring when in exposed cold places :-)

I'd cheerfully recommend it. I don't know if I would pay full whack but happy to buy their stuff in sale.
shell1670 - on 21 Dec 2012
sweet will defenately be investing in some of their gear. cheers guysd for your helpful posts
AWR on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to shell1670:

I know you're asking about clothes but in the interests of getting a broad spectrum of their stuff I thought I'd chip in.

I've got one of their 'Sphynx' (sp?) tents. It's quick to put up, has a detachable inner for when you need to remove it/put it up separate to the fly sheer and feels bomber in the wind. All for a fraction of the price of the bigger branded tents. I'm really happy with it.

Interesting to hear their hard shells have the same high quality line - I'm looking for something lighter than my paramo for summer so will have a look!
ads.ukclimbing.com
anaesthetic on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to verygneiss:
> (In reply to shell1670)
>
> I recently bought a pair of North Ridge walking crampons, and they appear to be Grivel's Monte Rosa model with North Ridge written on the strap, but 10 cheaper than the Monte Rosa (MR 80, NR 70). I field tested them yesterday, and they're great!

Only other difference I saw was that the toe piece looked significantly shorter than on the Grivel branded Monte Rosa, maybe an issue if you have big feet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.