/ Tenerife advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jo banner - on 20 Dec 2012
Hi,
Headed to Tenerife on Saturday :)
Anyone have any advice on the best quality venues?
Looking for a good spread from 5's for my 6 year old rope gun trainee to 7c for me to dog!
Got the escalada deportiva guide. Recommendations?
Cheers.
The Ivanator - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jo banner: Not been there, but have you seen Sue Hazel's article on here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4410
She is out there again at the moment, you could try mailing her through her profile (purple sue) for some pointers.
wkrzys - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jo banner:

Hi there - you are in for a treat :)

I spent a week there, and overall the climbing venues were very quiet, and really good. Some of the rock is very harsh on your hands though - particularly the type found near the volcano.

This page has a good summary of the climbing areas if you haven't already seen it;
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4410

La Canadas has a great range, and spectacular views, with really interesting rock formations. I would definintely recommend spending at least one day there. Also, right next to it is El Catedral. If you fancy something more adventurous, then there are a variety of multipitch routes up it from about 5+ to 6c, about 5 pitches each (150m?). Although, don't let anybody tell you they are fully bolted unless you like huge runouts. It is a adventurous but fun climbing it so take a light set of nuts and a few cams, the abseil back down is great.

Generally, the best single pitch climbing we found was at Arico. A lot of range, and the rock was fantastic. It's also a good place to seek some shade if it gets too hot.

Between these two locations, you are going to be pretty sorted, and they are probably the 'prettiest'.

For more local information, there is a climbing shop in Granadilla, and they are very helpful in there, photocopying topos and telling you about current status of routes (bolted or not etc!). Recommend popping in there, as there is a lot more info in local books.

Would also recommend if you have any climbing days off doing some ridge walks or valley hikes in the North Eastern quarter of the island for some amazing pre-historic scenery and beautiful villages. I think the starting place of a really remote walk is Masca. Alternatively, there is great walking on the opposite side in the jungles of Anaga - and you can find good local trails with information in the local offices there. It doesn't take much to get away from the tourists as people don't tend to walk too far, so you end up not seeing a single person for most part of the day outside of the towns!

You'll have a great time!

Hope that helps

Krzys

Ed F - on 21 Dec 2012

Arico and El Rio were the only 2 world class venues really. Las Canadas is very photogenic, but the climbing isn't that great. Still worth a visit just for the cool rock, but make sure you hit it in the sun - it's absolutely freezing in the shade. The other main areas (that we went to) are good, but nothing special in terms of rock quality and climbing quality.

To be honest, you'll probably spend most of your time at Arico - the upper Gorge has loads of easier routes for your prodigy and the lower gorge has everything up to 8c on stunning rock. Easily a weeks worth of climbing there by itself for someone operating in the 7's.

Hope that helps.
ben.m - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jo banner:
Make sure you pop into the climbing shop in Granadilla de abona. If you haven't got a guide book, that's where you'll find it. Plus you'll get all the info you'll ever want and need there. Although he does have an the most annoying habit of talking you into buying things... Tenaya climbing shoes are cheap cheap in there so it wasn't the end of the world!

Back to the main question, Arico gorge, as aforementioned, is probably the best venue for your needs.

Enjoy

Ben
BALD EAGLE - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jo banner:

Hi Jo
Having been to Tenerife for some winter sun on a couple of occasions and heading out again in a weeks time, I echo all the advice already given. However if you are feeling adventurous I can highly recommend climbing in the amazing Roques de Garcia, especially the Via Normal on La Catedral, if you like multi-pitch routes in an incredible setting. All the belays are equipped and the cruxes are bolted, though you need a small rack of nuts + a few friends to supplement the bolts. If interested in viewing a short film I made of climbing the Via Normal on La Catedral then use the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyiShmjNUHA
No climbing topos for Roques de Garcia are included in the latest Tenerife Escalada guide but those kind folks in Tenerife Outdoor have topos you can view and copy!
Cheers Dave
jo banner - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jo banner: Great advice guys! I am getting well psyched! Thanks :)
Arico looks great. Are the areas around the base of the climbs and the access into the gorge 'reasonably' child friendly?
Can't wait, packing the climb on right now!
ben.m - on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to jo banner:

The descents into the gorge are fine. Well worn paths/ rock steps. Base of the climbs are fine too. Plenty of choices anyway.

Try not to leave anything in the car when you park. We were there in October and the locals came over to warn us about car break ins being on the rise.

Enjoy
ads.ukclimbing.com
I like climbing - on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to jo banner:
Hi Jo,
I contacted the climbing shop in Granadilla and hired a guide to take me climbing. Great rock - lots of basalt which has great friction.
There is a lot of climbing so you should enjoy it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.