/ Olympus OM-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave - on 21 Dec 2012
Anybody got one and do you like it and how does it compare with other quality compacts or micro 4/3 camera's ? I had a play with one and thought it was great, the reviews are good and it takes great pictures. I want something that will offer a bit more than my Lumix LX3 but it is pricy. Anything else I should look at ?
JDal - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave:

I've had one since it was released. Best camera I've had, much better than the Oly E-5. I can't compare it to other compacts/small ILC's for you though, I don't suppose many would. Have a look at the DPR review http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/slrs/oly_em5

A big thing to look at here is lens availability, the m4/3 line-up is getting to be very good other than for top-end zooms. If you want small, with a viewfinder, and a wide range of small lenses I reckon this is currently the best on offer.
JDal - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to JDal:
... but note, the current crop of mirrorless cameras are poor for C-AF on fast moving objects, so not a good choice for sport action or bird in flight stuff. The DSLR's still rule there.
In reply to Dave: Buy one, its an amazing camera. Really amazing. Plus it has an awesome little wide-angle lens selection. Every shot I took in Pakistan this summer was taken on the EM5

http://www.alpineexposures.com/blogs/chamonix-conditions/6796926-charakusa-valley-pakistan

Jon

pog100 - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave:
I third the above, had one since July and really can't fault it.
Dave - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to pog100:
Thanks all. I think you are persuading me....
JDal - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave:
And don't buy a grey import and miss the free lens
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23290

Phone up Oly's UK customer service for confirmation.

Also European stocks have a 2yr manufacturers warranty - I only ever send stuff back directly to Olympus, never via a dealer. They're very good.

BTW - the 45mm f1.8 on offer is a fantastic little lens for it's size.
JDal - on 21 Dec 2012
Dave - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to JDal:
Thanks. What about buying in the US? I'm over in San Francisco in January and they are about 1050USD with a 14-42 lens. About 650 quid.
JDal - on 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave: You'll get a 1yr international warranty, which you can use in the UK. The 14-42 lens is ok, but not brilliant. I've stopped using mine and would be lucky to get 50 for in EBay. You will, however, want the 45mm f1.8, which is worth 220 in the UK.

Having said that, 650's a bloody good price. Body only in the UK is about a grand. I think I'd go for body + 12-60mm lens in the US if you can. It's the kit lens in Europe and is weatherproofed with a Macro facility and better than the 14-42. Remember to factor in import charges if they apply.
Dave - on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to JDal:
I think I'd go for body + 12-60mm lens in the US if you can. It's the kit lens in Europe and is weatherproofed with a Macro facility and better than the 14-42. Remember to factor in import charges if they apply.

12-60 or did you mean 12-50? The 12-60 seemed on the pricy side....

Dispater on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave:

I'm sure he meant 12-50. The 12-60 is a Four Thirds lens, designed for Olympus' larger E series DSLRs.
JDal - on 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Dispater: Yes, sorry, 12-50.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.