/ Big watch for outside clothing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
It occurs to me that it would be really useful, for winter walking in particular, to have a big watch that you could strap on your arm on top of a jacket. That way you wouldn't have to fight through layers of clothing to get at it. Does anyone know if anyone makes such a thing?

John Burns

Mountains, Middle age and Much, Much More

http://johndburns.wordpress.com/

johnj on 25 Dec 2012 - 86.112.78.158 whois?
Oo on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns:

Try looking at watches aimed at racing sailors. A mate had a big chunky thing that was designed to be worn over a big jacket. Though I think it had lots of silly (ie. good in a sailing race) functions.
Richard Wilson - on 25 Dec 2012
Check out a parachutists suppliers. I am sure you will find one with a barometer built in.

AlanLittle - on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns:

I have a Casio Protrek altimeter watch that has a long enough strap to go over a jacket sleeve but can still be adjusted short enough to wear directly on my wrist in summer. Tough enough to survive long days buckled to my harness in Dolomite chimneys too - generally a good bit of kit.
Morgan Woods - on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns: for skiing I take my 10 quid Casio watch from my wrist and put it through a loop on my shoulder strap.
TOS on 25 Dec 2012 - 62-63-41-76.static.customer.pronea.no
In reply to John Burns:

http://www.avocet.com/vertechpages/vertechski.html

I used to have one of these and whilst it was very good, it did have a fatal flaw...

The battery would last about a year and the factory fitted replacement (c.35) could only be fitted by one European company in Germany

Such a shame, I've yet to find an altimeter watch even half as good as this.
cliff shasby - on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns: i use a neoprene watch strap that you can adjust wide enough to put further up your arm,has lots of presstuds for adjustment and a neoprene cap that you can presstud on top of the watch.
Boogs on 25 Dec 2012
edwarddonegal - on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns:
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/optimum_time_horseriding_watch/
This will fit over your jacket
I use this for night nav (ML std)
Damo on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns:

I too used an Avocet Vertech and it was good. I had no problem replacing the battery myself.

But I've found that if it's cold enough to be wearing multiple layers of clothing then it's too cold for the watch. I've put a Suunto on my packstrap or around my neck etc in Antarctica and the battery dies in an hour or so (but comes back upon warming).

I know in the US (REI?) you can buy altimeter watches that are on a carabiner thing rather than a wrist strap, but I don't see they would handle the cold any better.
Scott K - on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns: I've got a suunto diving watch and it came with an extra strap which fastens onto the existing strap to extend it. This is so it can be worn over a dry suit and liner which would make it large enough to fasten over all your layers.
WILLS - on 25 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns: i just put my casio protrek on a screw gate on my chest strap
LaMentalist on 26 Dec 2012
Flat4matt - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to John Burns:

Timex ws4. They dont come mch bigger!
Though i do have a u-boat watch and thats mahoossive, not quite fit for the hills though!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.