HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Mountaineering -a unique link to our primeval past -Blog post

Last weekend I was alone in the Scottish mountains. At one point I was high on a narrow ridge of windblown snow with no other human being as far as the eye could see. It occurred to me that if I fell at that point the chances of anyone coming to my aid were slim. It also crossed my mind that it didn’t really matter how far I was from help as the fall would probably kill me anyway. “Why do I do this?” I thought, once I was off the ridge and the possibility of instant death had receded from my mind allowing me the luxury of lonely musings.

I think there is something unique about mountaineering that places it apart from other sports, something that connects us to our primeval past. Mountaineering is, in essence, a struggle for survival in a hostile natural environment. Here, I think the word natural might be the key. No other sport I can think of brings us into such an intense, such a seminal relationship with the natural world.

I think that relationship, between us as human beings and nature, is something we are losing despite the fact that it may well be central to who we are.

Read more here http://johndburns.wordpress.com/2012/12/25/mountaineering-a-unique-link-to-our-primeval-past/
... not showing 3 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums