/ New Year's weather, highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ramblin dave - on 26 Dec 2012
Hsa anyone got any advance on "bloody windy"? From the forecasts I've seen it looks like it'll be a bit of a mission to get out of the house, let along up any hills...
jhw - on 26 Dec 2012
From what I've seen on MWIS and Yr.No for Western Highlands and the Cairngorms, we can't know what's happening beyond Friday but the main issue this weekend looks likely to be less the wind and more the warm temperatures.

bowls - on 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Am wondering the same thing.. Heading up to Scotland first week of Jan, it looks set to get colder but the rain and thaw on Friday is a worry -how much will it decimate things? Only looking at the lower grade routes on the Ben etc but hoping not too much will be washed away.. At the moment it is unclear how long the warm spell will last for - it is the accompanying rain which is more of a concern - on Friday..
AlH - on 26 Dec 2012
In reply to bowls: We've just had a few days of heavy rain that turned to snow at the end in Lochaber. Its putting down fresh snow in Glencoe just now and its coming this way to Fort William. There is a good depth in the gullys no and it will take a bit of shifting. Some pics from today: http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/boxing-day-on-ben.html
Simon Caldwell - on 26 Dec 2012
In reply to AlH:
forecast rain at all levels and storm force southerlies on friday, hope enough survives for when it gets cold again on saturday. No doubt conditions will come good again when we head back south on 1st.
jhw - on 26 Dec 2012
Saturday not looking like a picnic either.
Mr. K - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave: We've heading up to Glencoe this evening and have packed all the toys - medium confidence in the mountain bikes getting used, low confidence in the ski gear seeing the light of day! =o)
Big Lee - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:

There's not as much rain forecast on Friday in the East if MWIS is anything to go by.
bowls - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Big Lee:

The MWIS forecast fills me with doom. Hopefully they are wrong!!!

"Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Friday, 28th December, 2012

Upland gales, often severe, throughout Friday and the weekend on all mountain areas. There will then be intermittent upland gales throughout next week. Frequent low cloud, and precipitation - particularly western mountains, this often of rain on summits from southern Scotland southwards, but apart form on Friday extensively snow on the Scottish Munros. There is increasing evidence that from the middle of next week for 2 to 4 days, warm air will substantially reduce the snow cover in the Scottish Highlands."
Simon Caldwell - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Big Lee:
> There's not as much rain forecast on Friday in the East if MWIS is anything to go by.

Shame I'm staying on the west :-(
Big Lee - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:

On the optimistic side, its very windy but at least sheltered crags shouldn't be full of windslab this weekend. I'm hoping the damage from the warm Friday temps won't be as dramatic in the East, what with lighter rain forecast. West Coast forecast looks rubbish though.
jhw - on 27 Dec 2012
Is the view that there won't be windslab on Saturday because the high temperatures on Friday will have a consolidating effect (wet snow avalanches another story ofc)

What about the high southerly winds forecast for Friday - will these expose north facing slopes to avi risk

Without suggesting I have the slightest clue what I'm talking about (I don't), I am thinking high, and south or west facing at least for Saturday (and within 2 hours from Glasgow because of restrictions on my travelling logistics).

Can anyone recommend anywhere that is not Aonach Mor (too far), Dothaidh (no warthogs) or the Cobbler (too low).

Big Lee - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to jhw:

Also weighing up the potential for wet snow avalanche this Sat. High Friday temps don't look as though they are going to dip down below the summits until Sat morning. Considering Coire an Lochain given sheltered aspect and routes that can be ab'ed off from below the summit. Not sure how safe the slopes above the tarn will be after the warm Friday. Deciding whether I can be ass'ed to drive from London to find out...
jhw - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Big Lee:

Cheers - helpful!
Sam Simpson - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Big Lee: we are considering going here on sunday, hopefully going to have a crack at savage slit, then going over to the ben on monday then glen coe tuesday possibly. Looks like there is going to be alot of snow and rain. think we are going to go up anyway
Sam Simpson - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to samsimpson: Anymore ideas for sunday anyone? Conditions dont look great, but due to the lack of people resisting I take this might be ok for sunday?
jhw - on 28 Dec 2012
We've just aborted our trip but that's because we'd be travelling up from London just for the weekend and it looks like everything low won't be running due to the thaw and everything high won't be running due to the wind, bar some very limited options.

But I'm basing that on what I admit is a very superficial understanding of what's there so I'd be really interested to hear if anyone's got a slightly more nuanced view.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Steve Perry - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave: It was 10C in Torridon this morning with pouring rain and snow retreating rapidly from the tops, mixed with gales. Most burns were in spate with snow melt and downpour. The wind was far less strong as we headed out eastwards and the temp dropped to 5C by Dingwall. Back in the Far North it's 9C outside now with rain but not much wind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.