/ Chunder de Fulmer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Twisty - on 26 Dec 2012
So, just how bad is the fishy stuff? Sounds like something the French would consinder a delicacy.

I think I've solved the clothing dilemma for my planned trip to OMOH, by wearing a step in painting suit ;-) however.... I've just got some new ropes which I rather like the smell of - any stories of success when it comes to getting this stuff off your kit?

By all means mislead me - (I'll be going either way!)
Cameron94 on 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Twisty: Take your own version of nasty smelly "chunder" and get them before they can get you!
puppythedog on 26 Dec 2012
In reply to Twisty: Go slowly, when I was there they were every few feet along ledges and impossibly to avoid. One got me, I scraped it off immediately and washed it twice with fairy the next day (a hardshell coat). The coat survived.
Go slowly past them (really slowly), I found worse than the smell was the fear because your instinct (or at least mine was) to recoil, not something to do if you've run it out and in places you will.

Good luck, enjoy it's a great adventure.
Tom Last - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

Interestingly (or perhaps not),the reason fulmars & kittiwakes etc vomit on you is apparently in the hope that rather than wasting energy predating on the birds themselves, you as the predator might just decide to tuck into the tasty morsal of their regurgitated dinner instead. Makes sense really as larger predatory seabirds like skuas etc are hardly likely to be revulted by a bit of fishy sick. Seems climbers are everso fussy!

Found that reversino for you btw Puppythedog - in post soon.
Paul Evans - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Twisty:
The time of year you go at can be helpful, don't know if you have any flexibility in this regard. I have been fulmared (in Cornwall, not on OMOH) and it's utterly revolting beyond words. The fulmars are much more likely to go for you than your ropes.
We did the OMOH at the end of April and there were almost no fulmars about, and we didn't get dive bombed by the bonxies on the approach either. And the weather was utterly perfect. While you're up there if you have any spare time take in the sights (and the sites) on the main island also. Well worth a look.
Good luck and have a great time.

Paul
victim of mathematics - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Twisty:

We did it this summer, and one of them got me pretty badly. I resigned myself to losing my jacket and trousers to the stench (it is horrendous), so stuffed them in a carrier bag at the bottom of my rucksack for the next 2 weeks until I got home. When I did I washed them and hung them out on the line for a day to dry/air, and they were fine. I washed them again just for good measure, but you'd really never know. I was very pleasantly surprised.

They are evil little buggers. You can't see them until they're vomiting in your face. They don't seem bothered once you're standing next to them though.
Andes - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Twisty:
Horrendous.
As others have said it's a great adventured. I got chundered in June. It was a warm day so I just threw my shirt in the bin, but the climbing gear they got still stank three years later!
John
Twisty - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Andes:

Great stuff! Presumably the fact you still own it means it didn't stink it out too much!
puppythedog on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Twisty: oh and if you feel like doing the world a good turn take a bin bag, some secaturs [sic] (garden scissors) and some replacement tat (I'd be happy to contribute a little bit of money for some chord) and maybe remove the mountain of crap on it. If I go again I will clean him a bit. Also well worth taking sixty metre ropes to an to the ground rather than mess about.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.