/ how to get to Finale from Nice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Holden (LCandCC) - on 27 Dec 2012
Hi all,

Going climbing in the Finale Ligure area of Italy in April, and flying into Nice. Whats the best way to hire a car? I believe car hire in France can be expensive, and even more so when taking the car out of the country. Is it easy to use public transport to get over the border and then hire a car in Italy?

Ta
Si

Simon Rackley - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC): si just get one in france and drive there, it didnt cost that much hiring a car in france, we drove to italy for the day without any problems and i dare say you'll be driving back into france to climb at turbie just above monico.
jon on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC):

Why do you think it'll cost more if you drive into Italy?
climber34neil - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC): hi, have you got flights booked? I have been to finale a couple if times and flew into genoa then it's a simple 2 hour ish drive from there, found car hire to be as cheap as anywhere else really
Chris the Tall - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC):
Done it a couple of times - don't think car hire is any more expensive, and going across the border hasn't been an issue, but I would check when you book.
Simon Holden (LCandCC) - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC): Thanks. I know a couple of people who have hired cars in France and had to put down a couple of thousand Euros as deposit. I know I could hire a car in France and just drive across the border, but if anything happened to the car wouldn't there be small print excusing the hire company to pay up? I suppose I will just have to check with the hire companies before booking. Flights are already booked.
mark catcher - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC): Been to Finale many times, mostly via Nice and never had a problem. No big deposits etc. being so close to the border the rental companies know the cars will go into Italy. It's very easy to get the train if you don't want the expense of a car.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Ciro - on 27 Dec 2012
In reply to mark catcher:

I went via the train from Nice last year - it's cheap and quite straightforward, it can take quite a while though...

1) bus to Nice ville (every 30 mins, takes 15 mins)
2) train to Ventimiglia/Vintimille on the border (the town has a different name, depending on which side you're coming from) - regular trains, stop everywhere but it's not that far, and this part of the journey is quite beautiful.
3) local trains from ventimiglia are cheap but slow and stop everywhere, intercity trains are obviously quicker but only run every couple of hours, the route departs from the coast for a good while so not so pretty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.