/ Topo of the Douglas Boulder?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jhw - on 28 Dec 2012
It's not in the SMC guidebook...

Many thanks
Tom Last - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to jhw:

SMC Ben Nevis guide page 108 & 110
jhw - on 28 Dec 2012
Curses - I was too tight to buy a sufficiently specific guidebook

Query - is the SW ridge pretty intuitive to find (including the Grade IV start)

Approach and descent could be death on a stick tomorrow but I'm clutching at straws!
Andy Nisbet - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to jhw:

The selected guide SMC Scottish Winter Climbs page 136 has it on a topo.
jhw - on 28 Dec 2012
Attention to detail fail. Thanks for spotting this.

Really enjoyed reading about this! http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=3230

AlH - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to jhw: The SW Ridge regular start is a little way up the Gully. The Direct Start (steep crack at the very toe of the buttress, spike a few metres up) feels a good deal harder.
Ronbo - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to AlH: You cant miss it!!!
AlH - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Ronbo: And yet I've twice directed parties further up to the gully to it as they stood at the very bottom of the ridge and spoken to a third team who also did the direct failing to find the regular start.
Michael Gordon - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to AlH:

I think he means you can't miss the ridge. And if the start looks too hard, simply try further up!
jhw - on 28 Dec 2012
I don't think we're going to do it this weekend. But thanks for next time. We thought the descent gully would be too avalanchey. Let me know if I'm being too cautious though as this is the second consecutive weekend we've cancelled :(
ads.ukclimbing.com
Scott Kirkhope - on 28 Dec 2012
In reply to jhw: If you're climbing on a pair of 60's you can abseil down the East gully. 60m will take you below the narrowing and you can escape out right (looking down) into Observatory gully. I'm not commenting on the condition of the slope just giving you options. Take tat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.