Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Carbon Hardtail, XX1, 650B Tubeless anyone?

mikehike on 30 Dec 2012
Im mindful that im wanting to replace my 90's Proflex Full Sus MTB in the next 12 or so months.
So this last year ive been bringing myself up to date on what you can get for one's hard earned.
It seems that since 1995 technology has come on a long way, but disappointingly im finding mid priced bikes are a similar weight to those of old. Meaning, in general mid priced in 1995 was £1500 weighing 25lb, and now mid priced circa £2000-2500 still weighing 25lb. Surely due to modern materials, bike weights would have reduced?

Anyway, im trying to work out what’s going to be my perfect ride.
Fuss Sus or Hardtail?

This last 2 months ive been riding a Cyclocross bike on my local trails, 700c x 35 MTB tread low-ish pressure, which in effect is a rigid 29er. Ive been surprised how well it handles the rough stuff. Ok ive have to be careful with the likes of ruts and hidden holes. But it made me think do I need full sus? Can I get away with hardtail?

I then had a blast out on the Proflex to find it feels like riding a mushy settee, in comparison.

Hardtail is looking favourable considering the added comfort of running a higher profile tubeless tyre at lower pressure. Add to that 650b wheel diameter instead of 26”.
Ive just learned about SRAM XX1, 11 speed rear cassette, one front chain ring. No front mech or shifter.

So my perfect ride could be:
Carbon Hardtail, XX1, 650B Tubeless

I realise choosing a bike all depends on what one want out of a ride, where you ride and how far you ride.
My rides tend to be local, with a club of mixed bikes and abilities.
I might try locking out my rear end as an experiment.

Would like to hear any thoughts or comments.

mh
... not showing 8 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums