/ Big Mountain Days In North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Joel Perkin - on 30 Dec 2012
Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone could suggest any really good Mountain Days up in North Wales. Days with a bit of walking (to practice navigation) to a crag/scramble and brilliant climb/scramble then walk on to another? I know there are guidebooks with this sort of thing in it but I was wondering whether you guys had any opinions or personal preference? Cheers guys.
IainRUK - on 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Beddgelert Parish Boundary
Welsh 1000m Peaks
3000ers
Paddy Buckley Round
Capel to Nant Mor via the boundary ridge
Pedol Peris/Peris horseshoe fell race route
Cwm Pennant Horseshoe.
highclimber - on 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin: if you fancy some nav practice, i'm up for getting up to Cnicht area soon if you fancy coming along - i dont like my own company too much!
bill briggs1 - on 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Half hight circuit of Snowdon going into each cwm via climbs and scrambles of your choice. One of the best days out in Wales.
IainRUK - on 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin: There's an article somewhere of Cerrig Copa.. Welsh 1000m peaks with climbs or scrambles on each 1000m peak..
Jon Stewart - on 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin:

I had a good half day scrambling up Parson's Nose/Arete, round Snowdon to Llywedd, up Slanting Buttress Ridge and back to Pen y Pass. It would take you all day if you roped up.
bigrob - on 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin:

I can recommend an extended trip to the climbing wall at plas y brenin followed by some cake at petes eats???

When ya thinkin of going moley joley??

COuld be in for some cornishman scaring!!
jonoh - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin: Slanting buttress on Lleywdd then Snowdon then Crib Goch . I enjoyed it very much !!
Joel Perkin - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to bigrob: Big Rob is that the best suggestion? Sounds like a plan! I was thinking of heading up around March. Because I'm bored haha.

Cheers guys for all these brilliant suggestions.
Joel Perkin - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to highclimber: I would love you practice some nav but living in Cornwall getting up to you might be a bit of a mission.
jim jones on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin:
Eastern arete as a start to the Nantlle Ridge, wander over the ridge to Cwm Silyn, down and up Outside Edge to return along the ridge.
In the same area Angel Pavement on Mynydd Mawr over the top and down to come up Adam Rib and back over Mynydd Mawr.
Mark / Alps - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin:
Walk to Clogwyn y Tarw for a route / scramble. From top go up to Sub Cneifion Rib. Down for a route on the Idwal Slabs or the scramble beside them. Up onto the upper cliff of Glyder Fawr, descend Senior's Ridge and go up Cneifion Arete and on up the Gribin Ridge. That's about 700 metres of scrambling / climbing with a whole variety of potential grades to operate at( V. Diff to Es ). You can add crags / routes to suit such as Bochlwyd Buttress, Glyder Fach Main Cliff, Holly Tree Wall, Continuation Wall and Clogwyn Du.
The Milestone Buttress leads up to a possible 600 metre plus combination of scrambling / climbing on the West Face of Tryfan. The Ogwen guidebook page 125 as some nice options.
A route on Dinas Mot, on to Cyrn Las and then Clogwyn Ddsygl. Could even pick up a route on Crib Goch on the way down.
Have fun!!
dgp - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to Joel Perkin: Direct route on the milestone, then round to Grooved arete on E face., down to Chasm rib on Glyder Fach, down Gribin then reverse Cneifion arete, across to Manx Wall then if the sun is not setting finish off by dropping down to finish on Central Arete on Glyder fawr !
highclimber - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to jim jones:
> (In reply to Joel Perkin)
> Eastern arete as a start to the Nantlle Ridge, wander over the ridge to Cwm Silyn, down and up Outside Edge to return along the ridge.

unless the OP is an experienced climber/mountaineer, this is a poor suggestion. Craig yr Ogof is notoriously hard for route finding but it is a fantastic place if you have the confidence!
dgp - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to highclimber:
> (In reply to jim jones)
> [...]
>
>
> unless the OP is an experienced climber/mountaineer, this is a poor suggestion.
yes I agree -also - Angel Pavement requires care with loose rock and unless conditions are perfect Adam Rib is best left to a confident VS climber !
jim jones on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to highclimber:
Only routes on the nose can be tricky to follow; Outside Edge is as easy as most of the longer VD routes in Wales. I'd agree that Angel Pavement/Adam Rib could be a harder proposition but at least its a good test of route finding and general fitness without following any of the usual hackneyed suggestions.
Joel Perkin - on 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Joel Perkin: Cheers people these are good suggestions, I'll be able to have a busy week or 2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.