/ Everest Base Camp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bryn keating - on 31 Dec 2012
I've been doing some research on guided expeditions to Everest base camp and they all leave me flat broke. Does anyone know if it is achievable to trek there independently without equipment (climbing gear etc)and is it possible to pay a local sherpa to guide once in kathmandu? Any knowledge dispensed welcomed and grateful for! Cheers.
imkevinmc - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: you haven't used the forum search, have you? And you want to trek, so you won't need climbing gear.
The simple answer is yes. Turn up and go.
cat88 - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: yes and yes, I did mine through action challenge which included flights, sherpa guides, british guide, tea house accom, food, safe water and a doctor for about 2k
However the route is well marked with neon orange blobs on rocks and not very technical bar the odd scramble, the book 'trekking in the everest region' is also worth a read.
Any other questions just pm me
butteredfrog - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating:

Hi Bryn, it is more than possible to trek up to basecamp yourself. If using teahouses you you do not need much kit beyond a sleeping bag and clothes. I would carry your own kit.

Costs would then be down to flights to Lukla, Park entrance fee; 20ish and about 10 per day bed, food and all those teahouse brew stops to admire the views.

Cheers Adam
butteredfrog - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:

Have been out a few times, pm me for more info.
bryn keating - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: Thanks so much for the speedy responses. This is all great news! Is it worth it, or necessary to get a map of the region? When is the best time to go? I think i'll be headin over around march/april, is this a sensible time to go? Beyond wearing baselayer, fleece and down jacket will extra clothing be required?
Cheese Monkey - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: You can get perfectly adequate everything in KTM for peanuts. You will find a sherpa in KTM but I would imagine the trick is finding a Sherpa. Add some days on to your trip and walk in and out, you do not want to play the Lukla roulette as a single ticket holder - groups get priority over rescheduled flights and you could be stuck for days - I was! Try to avoid peak season - finding a room as a solo person could be stress you dont need. In short - go to Langtang, reasonably off the main beaten path and a really beautiful friendly valley
cat88 - on 31 Dec 2012
In reply to bryn keating: id take a set of goretex at that time of year too, more chance of rain than october/november.
Google it there are loads of blogs and stuff out there
Warner - on 01 Jan 2013

I agree. You probably will need a trek permit as well and you can easily do it yourself in Ktm with two photos and money. I`m not sure about the porter/guide: two years ago you were able to trek alone but I read somewhere that the government wanted the trekkers to have at least a porter. Better to check on their website.
butteredfrog - on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to warmauri:

Don't think it was ever introduced, am pretty sure you can just get on with it. might be a requirement for Langtang though.
butteredfrog - on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to warmauri:

Thats your park entry fee no?
hkstu - on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to bryn keating: You don't need a Sherpa for EBC trek and you can get away without any porters if you use the teahouses and pack light. Also very difficult to get lost...just follow the crowds. Its still beautiful but you will be on the M1 of treks. Loads of big groups wielding walking poles and kicking up the dust. Last October about 10000 trekkers and climbers went through the park gates above Monjo, but it is not as busy in other months. I know EBC is iconic and a goal for lots of folk, but the last day of trek into camp is a dreary slog across moraine. Better to head up KP and take in the views. You won't need any technical climbing gear, some people do it in approach shoes.
> (In reply to bryn keating)
> Costs would then be down to flights to Lukla, Park entrance fee; 20ish and about 10 per day bed, food and all those teahouse brew stops to admire the views.

I don't know when you were last in the Khumbu, but I would budget US$30-40 per day for food and lodging.

mattc - on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to bryn keating: also agree langtang is amazing. It's easy with out a guide but wish I got one for the experence the ones I met were all very interesting. Also I have a feeling u do have to have one these days they are easy to pick up in Nepal.
ryan_d - on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to mattc: Agree to most of above. Just got back, and although we were on an organised group trek, and camped most nights, we did use the lodges on a a couple of nights. With our Sirdar we got preferential rates. Lower down, we got rooms for about 600 Nepalese Rupees a night. At Gorak Shep this increased to 2500 rupees per night. THe lodges also reduce their room rates if you are eating in the tea house/lodge.

It was perishingly cold higher up so make sure you have a really good sleeping bag. Even in the lodges if was -5 in the rooms. I only used base layers and a fleece, but a windproof or light softshell would have been beneficial as the wind is really cold. It only rained one day on our way out, and it wasn't particularly heavy.

Exchange rate is 130rupees to the pound.

Hope this helps

Ryan
neil9216 - on 01 Jan 2013
Hi I,m in Nepal at the minute, done the Annapurna circuit and Base Camp trek back to back,, got back from base camp on the 27th
you wont need any guide or porter, as long as your fit enough to carry your own bag,

The route itself is very easy to follow, you would be hard pushed to get lost, we bought a small scale map in Kathmandu.

there were very few people on the trek at this time of year,,,
I, heard that april/ may being the climbing season its very busy then..

As for cost,
Flight to Lukla $120 one way (go directly to Nepal airlines main office)
permits were about 25 quid, you need a blue card to trek independantly, dont be conned into buying a green one, we met people who ran into problems this way,

my average daily spend for 2 people was 3900 Nepaleese rupees.over 18 days
we were in a large group an didnt pay for accomodation as long as we ate there,

also take a lot of snacks with you as its very expensive up there,
and puri tabs or drops as water is also expensive too.
and eat dahl bat every night,, its the only thing that will fill you up, as they bring seconds and sometimes thirds.

we got really lucky with the temperatures the lowest we encountered was -12 on top of Kalla Pattar, Make sure you have a good sleeping bag tho.
you can buy a decent down jacket in Kathmandu for 20 to 30 quid.
I had a fleece a windstopper jacket then my down jacket,

also I would recomend have extra days for rest we saw lots of people charging up and having to turn back due to altitude and we heard of people gettin airlifted out all the time.

id recomend a side trip over the cho la pass and kala pattar is the best veiw youl get of everest itself,,
Base camp for me was good but there are no views, but it would be a different matter in climbing season as you can mingle with the climbers

hope this helps if you need any more info just ask,,

Cheese Monkey - on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to ryan_d: Those prices are insane, unless thats including food? If you're on a budget I would avoid like the plague if not! Most I paid was 300rp for a night in Langtang last year, but usually had a free room if I ate at the lodge
ryan_d - on 01 Jan 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey: It wasn't including food as we had our own chef preparing our food as part of the trek, so prices were high. As I said there were big discounts if eating from the lodge, but we were covered. We only used lodges a couple of times so weren't overly worried.

To the OP- try and pay up front. They try hard to rip you off especially around Gorak Shep- captive audience.

Ryan
butteredfrog - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to ryan_d:

Hi Ryan we were there in Nov 2010, and never spent more than 10/12 pounds a day food and lodgings. (No beers till we got back to Namche though)
MikeTS - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Cheese Monkey:
> (In reply to ryan_d) Those prices are insane, unless thats including food? If you're on a budget I would avoid like the plague if not! Most I paid was 300rp for a night in Langtang last year, but usually had a free room if I ate at the lodge

My experience too. Unless prices have gone up dramatically. The hard parts to do on your own are getting to/from Lukla without having someone who knows the system working for you, especially if the weather closes in. You can carry what you need if you stay in lodges yourself. Biggest issue with going by yourself would be if you got sick (stomach, altitude) which is quite possible, even likely.

dazmac - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to MikeTS: Just got back from langtang today we had a guide and porter yes you can do it on your own easily, This was My GF first trip so opted for the safe route and went for guide and porter as we dont have a lot of spare time to get sick take more rest days plus you have the company of amazing people who will answer all your questions on what that mountain is.

on cost for day to day food and lodges for langtang for the 2 of us I went with 3000 nr but took 4000nr a day as I had bus fares yak cheese and park fees to pay.

on the Dahl bat its good when you get a good one and poor and expensive when you get a bad one as I found this was one of the most expensive meals on the menu, i tend to eat shampa porridge for brekfast soup or spring rolls for lunch and dinner veg fried rice and lots of black tea and boiled water rather than mineral water as this gets silly and I dont like chemical water neither of us got sick as we made sure the water was boiled to death.

rockcat - on 03 Jan 2013

Bryn, Try this guy. We used him for the Annapurna Circuit/Sanctuary and the EBC trek and he is brilliant, an excellent organiser, very reliable and good value. Recommended

Shiba Adhikari
shiba54@hotmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shiba-Trekking-Nepal/165456190137468
Cheers
AdCo82 on 03 Jan 2013

Adam, do you have any maps / books of the trek?
In reply to An Triubhas:

Will have a look, got an old trekking in Langtang book!
AdCo82 on 03 Jan 2013

I've always wanted to go and do the trek!
In reply to An Triubhas:

Wouldn't mind going back out to Nepal myself next year. Will have to pull my finger out and earn some money first though! :(
cat88 - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to dazmac: sherpa stew is usually a safe bet, also chipati bread with yak cheese and lemon tea :)
Warner - on 04 Jan 2013
4 years ago I paid only the park fee (Everest), 2 years ago we paid park fee (Annapurna) and trek permit which was compulsory whatever the trek. Both done and paid at the government office in Ktm. I don`t know if the trek permit is still "alive": apparently the rules changed again...
ryan_d - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to butteredfrog: Well 600nr works out at less then 4 so will be within your price estimations. It was only at Gorak that the prices got silly. It was really busy- we got the last room, and were meant to be camping. For one night we could live with it. We didn't need food, as i already stated that one was covered for us.

Cheers

Ryan
MikeTS - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to dazmac:

Oh, and it depends on when you go. Late Nov/Early Dec is less crowded, so much lower prices
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.