/ St Sunday Crag - something for after Pinnacle Ridge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
martinph78 on 02 Jan 2013
Hi all,

I've scrambled up Pinnacle Ridge before, onto St Sunday Crag. Just wondering if anyone could recommend another equally good scramble that we could add to the day to make it a bit more hands-on?

I was thinking West Chockstone Gully but I've not done/seen that before.

Would it be possible to abseil down (for speed as much as anything) West Chockstone Gully after ascending it, before moving on to climb Pinnacle Ridge? I don't mind leaving some tat behind.

Cheers, Martin.
Jon Stewart - on 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin1978: What about dropping down into the top of Deepdale and scrambling up Greenhow End? You could do that quite scary looking ghyll too if you were that way inclined.
In reply to Martin1978: Having done one or two other routes up on that face in the dim distant past I don't think I'd plan ahead to abseil, it'd strike me as too faffy. Downclimbing Pinnacle Ridge might be fun, as an alternative means of descent (and you could ab or rope down the steep wee step if you like)?

Alternatively there's Portcullis Ridge on Black Buttress in Sleet Cove, a 60m-odd VDiff. I remember that being a nice (if obscure) route, though for me I'd class it as climbing rather than scrambling, and go suitably equipped.

I've often thought Pinnacle and Portcullis would make a good day out together
In reply to Martin1978: Thanks Jon, Ghyll scrambling is out, my mate doesn't like getting wet! Greenhow End looks like a good option and should make for a longer day out. We could also could travel lighter if we werent having to put an abseil in which would be great.

Cheers, Martin
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Hi Dan, thanks for the tip. I think down climbing Pinaccle Ridge would take too long (and doesn't look fun from what I remember!), hence the though of putting an abseil or three in. You are right though, on PR itself this would be a pain, hence why I was wondering about the West Butress.

Definiately need this to be a scrambling day rather than climbing so have ruled out Portcullis Ridge.

Quite like Jons suggestion above, just measuring the map distances now :)
In reply to Martin1978: Go with Jon's plan Martin. As a scramble Greenhow End's not in the same league as PR but it does take you through a fantastic bit of scenery, well worth the walk. I can't remember for sure but I think it's OK to contour from the mouth of Sleet Cove into Link Cove (from where you gain the Greenhow End scramble); but do stay well above Mart Crag (see 1:25K map) where there's some quite treacherous ground if coming from above (and some good climbs incidentally)

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Thanks Dan, looking at the map there's no path down Sleet Cove but it looks the obvious route down from Deepdale Hause. Looks like it would be possible to skirt aroud the base of Greenhow end into Link Cove, keeping well away from Mart Crag.

Think it will be a good day out as we have a few options should it turn into an epic!

The other option for us (and looking at it maybe the better option) may be to go to Greenhow End from Patterdale/Deepdale Park first, then up onto Fairfield, over St Sunday before traversing down from St Sunday Crag (I know there's a path off the top that traverses across from East to West) to the start of Pinnacle Ridge. Then head back down to Patterdale via Black Crag.

Fingers crossed for the weather.

Cheers for the help guys, looks like a good day is planned :)
Doghouse - on 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
>
> Would it be possible to abseil down (for speed as much as anything) West Chockstone Gully after ascending it, before moving on to climb Pinnacle Ridge? I don't mind leaving some tat behind.
>

You may not but littering the hills with your tat just for your convience is surely not a good thing?
martinph78 on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Doghouse: I stand with rapped knuckles. Thank you :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.