ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - parthian shot

mudcow79 on 02 Jan 2013
I've been sifting through some old threads relating to the loss of the flake on parthian shot recently. This seems to have been discussed a lot elsewhere but thought i'd start a new thread instead of being ignored in a past one (plus it may re-highlight the subject).

First of all, i was shocked with regards talk of re-installing the flake on the route. I'm sure this would never come to fruition and should never have been considered in the first place, but in this day and age it wouldn't surprise me. Any news updates here? plus how do others feel about this?
Personally i'd prefer it was remembered for what it was, re-climbed and re-graded... The bonatti pillar still bears the same name after all.

I was also shocked and dismayed to discover that SG had subjected the flake to a drop test prior to his hard grit ascents. This may have been common knowledge, but it's a new one on me. I must say what a shrewd and cowardly act this was.
Due to all the hype surrounding that film and the way your ascent of parthian shot was portrayed, you won a lot of respect/credit for stepping into the unknown and facing that route in as pure a style as was vogue at the time. But with hindsight and the drop test revolation mentioned above it all just seems like a bloody publicity stunt now.
I'm a yorkshire dales resident myself, and have always believed in and stuck up for JD, but there have been times when the views of others have tainted my beliefs in him. Let's just say Mr D, you are vindicated of all the bullshit controversy you've ever had to endure, as far as i'm concerned.
The validity of parthian shot's 2nd ascent should be the thing in contention.
Please excuse me for bringing this subject back to the fore, it's not my intention to upset anyone or start an ethical pissing match, just dissapointed, that's all.
... not showing 104 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums