/ LED Lenser Headtorch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J Brown - on 03 Jan 2013
I'm planning to replace my headtorch. I was out running a few weeks ago with a mate who has the LED Lenser (H7 I think) and was very impressed. He has the non-recharge version. I'm just wondering if anyone who has one could offer an opinion on which way to go... I'm wondering whether the rechargeable version would last through the night on long runs, but also not keen on the cost associated with replacing batteries in the non-rechargeable version.

If anyone who has one of these torches could offer an opinion on which option they've gone for, performance, longevity etc that would be great.

Thanks.
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown: I have the H7 and it is brilliant.

I use rechargeable batteries. Better option I reckon
In reply to J Brown: I have heard some complain that for running, the strap isn't perfect for keeping it on your head
J Brown - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:

Rechargeable batteries in the non-rechargeable torch? I had been thinking that might be the best compromise.

Thanks.
tony on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to J Brown) I have heard some complain that for running, the strap isn't perfect for keeping it on your head

The strap is too big for my head, but that's easily sorted with a few tucks and tape. Other than that, it's great. I have the rechargeable version, and I'd thoroughly recommend it.
In reply to J Brown: Yes, I have the non rechargeable torch, and use rechargeable batteries. Seemed like the right thing to do (knowing what battery life is like in phones , ipods etc after multiple recharges)

Works for me ;-)
neuromancer - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown:

For what it's worth, the h7r (which i own) doesn't have a fixed pack so you can put any rechargables in it, it just has a dc in and charging circuit to fit a small portable charger.

And free batteries.
In reply to neuromancer: I recently got the H7 and noticed when looking that the H7r gets a lower lumen figure. I guess the batteries just aren't as powerful as your standard alkaline AAAs?
Stuart (aka brt) - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

1.25v for recharge against 1.5v for alkaline on fresh (though I've often measured 1.4v straight off the charger for rechargeable).

I'll bet bottom dollar the lamp is constant current regulated so once the alkaline drop v they'll match output. I'd wager it's almost negligible. Rechargeable have a better discharge rate so potential for longevity.

Ferret on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown: Just bought my wife one and it looks great.... Although neiher of us have used it running yet. At present H7r is cheaper on Amazon than the H7 and the only difference is it comes with the charger, a plug in point on the headband for the charger socket and a set of re-chargeable batteries... i.e you can buy it and run it on normal batteries or use the rechargables supplied. Equally, if you have a battery charger you could buy the standard one and use normal or externally re-chargable batteries in it. It doesn't use a special battery pack or anything.
Simon Caldwell - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown:
I have the H7R, and carry a spare set of non-rechargables. I've not had to use them yet, but not been out for more than about 4 hours.
dyfed on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown:

The pros: It's brighter than daylight

The cons: Apparently, it's not waterproof, and the hinge can get a bit loose after a while causing the lamp to, er, droop.

I want a Petzl Nao but I can't afford one.
Stuart (aka brt) - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Not regulated! Wow. If you buy this then Eneloops will be the best option. A lot of wasted power not used with the H7 then.
highclimber - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown: check out the Fenix head torches - much cheaper!
In reply to highclimber:
> check out the Fenix head torches - much cheaper

They're very good, but they're not cheaper. Lenser H7 is about 40, Fenix HP11 55.
In reply to dyfed:
> I want a Petzl Nao but I can't afford one.

Problem with the Nao is they have their own batteries, so it's very expensive to carry spares.
J Brown - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown:

Thanks everyone. I went for the H7R. It arrived today, and I've been out for a test run on Arthur's Seat this evening, first impressions... very good.

Thanks.
happy_c - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to J Brown: Has it got the 'slidy leaver thingy' adjustment on it at the back with the pack, as opposed to on the front of the head torch? Think im getting one tomorrow as well at a P7 torch for the dog walks!
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to happy_c: the H7 has a slide front and back. Front for focusing the beam, and on the back battery pack for power adjustment.I assume it's the same on the H7R

I use for dog walks and have a P7 as well, but if i'm honest, I only ever use the headtorch for dog walking.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Kermi - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Toreador: You can put normal batteries (AAA) into the Petzl Nao in an emergency. You wouldn't want to run them all the time though. It's just in that awkward price range where you can't quite justify it it :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.