/ gear age identification

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ste-B - on 03 Jan 2013
I've heard it explained a couple of times, but can't seem to get the hang of it when I'm looking at kit. How do you work out the manufacturing date from the references given on the gear? Apologies if there's an old post that I've missed.
Cheers
Monk - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste-B:

It varies between manufacturers, so there is no one answer. What are you trying to date?
itsThere on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste-B: if it has Kg instead of KN then its made pre 1986
Ste-B - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Monk:

Hi. I run sessions at a variety of places & some are supposed to adhere to an age related retirement of (their) gear ( with my own kit it's done by condition & my knowledge of its use). Sometimes it looks a bit suspicious. I thought that most manufacturers use a similar system that's based on numeric ref for weeks of the year etc. If I'm not happy with the kit I don't use it, but it would be good to be able to tell them it needs retiring based on their own rules as well as mine.
cuppatea on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste-B:

DMM stamped y92 on some of my krabs.
Monk - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste-B:
> (In reply to Monk)
>
> Hi. I run sessions at a variety of places & some are supposed to adhere to an age related retirement of (their) gear

I've had to do this sort of thing before, and i've always found it takes quite a bit of effort. There are so many different systems out there.

I'd have to check, but I know that DMM and Wild Country do both use (or have done in the past) a system as you describe on some bits of kit (software) but krabs may use a different system. If I remember correctly, the DMM harnesses I was using had a 3 digit code on them that was week (1st 2 digits) and year (3rd digit). I think Wild Country have details on their website, but I think that I had to ask DMM for advice. Other brands may not be as easy.
Monkey_Alan - on 04 Jan 2013
ads.ukclimbing.com
MarkDavies36 on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste-B:

For Beal ropes, the last two digits at the end of the long number printed on the manufacturers label are the year of manufacture.

Petzl now use a date code as part of their uniques identifier as follows:
Petzl serial number changes
1988+ e.g. 035 88 means manufactured 35th day of '88
1995+ e.g. 95 035 I means manufactured 35th day of '95, Quality Assurance letter I
2006+ e.g. 06 035 AB 3261 means manufactured 35th day of '06, unique code AB3261

For Petzl helmets made up to 2009 the code is etched on the right hand front-rear adjuster below the ear; 2009+ it is on a sticker on the inside of the helmet.

Hope this helps,

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.