/ Ghost stories, and Mysteries on the mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
readysalted - on 03 Jan 2013
Just been looking at IainRUK's thread, and not being familiar with Scottish mountains, I googled Ben Alder, to find out about the apparent ghost.

The wiki is pretty interesting, and explains that there is allegedly the ghost of a ghillie who hung himself there.

The wiki also mentions a french guy who was found dead, sat on a cliff on Ben Alder, with an old lead bullet in him, and all the labels cut out of his clothes. Bizarre, but interesting!

I am much more familiar with the Brecon Beacons, and another interesting mystery is the tale of Tommy Jones, to whom there is an obelisk dedicated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_y_Fan#Tommy_Jones.27_Obelisk

I find these mysterious tales of the hills very interesting, if a little unsettling, and would be very interested to hear of any more like them, so I'm starting this thread as a place to share interesting and mysteries stories like them?
CMcBain - on 03 Jan 2013
In reply to readysalted:

The big grey man of Ben Macdui springs to mind, I think there was a strange suicide on Lochnagar ages ago although it sounds similar to the Ben Alder one you mentioned, so im maybe just muddling them up
ads.ukclimbing.com
OMR - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to readysalted: The gillie in question didn't hang himself and didn't even die in the bothy he's 'supposed' to haunt. That story has been quite thoroughly debunked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.