ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - The unrepeated

mav - on 04 Jan 2013
Found myself thinking about routes which get a lot of publicity when they are first done and still await their first repeat. Some are not forgotten about; growing in reputatio so that they mentioned in hushed tones; with suggestions on UKC and elsewhere that the actual grade may be much harder; but others are forgotten about, becoming mere foot notes.

Leviathan at Kyloe is the former category. Its at a popular crag, and a a low-level traverse, easy to try. I've seem people playing on it, filming themselves, but so far as I know, it remains un-repeated. Another route of Malc's, Steall Appeal had that same aura until Dave MacLeod finally repeated it.

Meanwhile, Dave McLeod's (and Scotland's) first E9, Achemine, is as far as I know, unrepeated. As is the second, the Fugue. People have flown round the world to try Achemine's neighbour, Rhapsody, yet Achemine is now ignored.

So what makes one route a test-piece for the grade, and another become forgotten?

And what other routes are out there, forgotten about, thatmaybe shouldn't be?
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums