/ Packable waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flat4matt - on 04 Jan 2013
Looking at lightening the load in my pack. I normally carry my MOD goretex type overtrousers around which are mega durable but dont pack down small enough. Then ive got my keela munro which is a top bit of kit but not exactly designed to be packable.
Basically im after a set of packable waterproofs for those 'just incase' moments where it really starts to lash it down.
Ive seen a set in tresspass that pack down to two fist size shapes which is ideal and were only 30quid. If im honest though im a big believer in buy cheap buy twice so abit unsure. They reckon theyre breathable but im not entirley sold by all the breathable waterproof business even by some of the top brands!

Whats your views on value waterproofs and are they fit for purpose for climbing?

Cheers
Matt
neuromancer - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Decathlon Forclaz 200 Overtrousers for 50?
Lukeva - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: My Rab Demand is super packable and light eVent top with good breathability, not too durable and would suffer thrutching up chimneys- but great as an emergancy layer; 100 ish I think
richparry - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

I always buy cheap gelert or hi-gear waterproof trousers for work during the winter. They are breathable and don't leak, and for less than 20 think you can't go wrong. I use the same type for winter climbing in the uk and they do the job. They pack down really small and are great for summer alpine stuff.

I agree that you tend to get what you pay for, but if you only need them for occasional use why spend any more than you have to.
Run_Ross_Run - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Montane Atomic's. 48quid
Flat4matt - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

I was hoping santa was going to bring me a nice ultra packable Jacket but he must have forgot!

Thanks for the help so far!

Matt
David Barratt - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: Montane make some pretty good light weight jackets that stuff into a sack. can't remember the name of them...
In reply to Flat4matt:

Marmot super Mica from Cotswold, 80 quid off.
Carolyn - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

I'm not a great fan of the budget stuff, but that's as much because of the (lack of) fit as anything. That's probably less of an issue for most blokes.

I've picked up Marmot Precip stuff cheap on eBay, and that does the job fine.
Cameron94 on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: I've got a apir of these Atleast I think that this is them.

Awesome packable eg. half the space of a 1L drybag for size small.
Very good dwr, and waterproof after hours in rubish weather.
Full length side zips, fly zip all of which are weather res.
Surprisingly hard wearing I've been using them alot on gabbro and they're holding up fine.
Lukeva - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to Flat4matt)
>
> I'm not a great fan of the budget stuff, but that's as much because of the (lack of) fit as anything. That's probably less of an issue for most blokes.
>
> I've picked up Marmot Precip stuff cheap on eBay, and that does the job fine.

Fit is really important to me, hood mobility, arm length, slim body to prevent bunching, pocket location etc. But I have way to many 'outdoors' jackets... I have an issue with that
CurlyStevo - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
I tried a precip on over xmas and the hood was too small to go over a helmet.

the rab kinetic jacket and trousers look worth a try....
BnB - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Darren09:
> (In reply to Flat4matt)
>
> Marmot super Mica from Cotswold, 80 quid off.

I bought one of these at this price two days ago. Just waiting to pick it up from Cotswold when I get back to work Monday. Bought in a medium size (I usually prefer large for extra sleeve length and snowboard-friendly fit) so as to aid harness access/reduce windage and hug my down sweater for extra warmth on picnics. I mean belays.
jonnie3430 - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

> Ive seen a set in tresspass that pack down to two fist size shapes which is ideal and were only 30quid.

I have a set of those trousers that I carry for "just in case moments," they have been used once or twice and I've carried them around for 4 years, so worth it in my opinion. The cut is a bit bulky, the cuffs don't fit ski boots (I take them touring,) and sometimes they have pocket slits but they great for a light back up set that spends most of it's time in your bag.

In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to Darren09)
> [...]
>
> I bought one of these at this price two days ago.

Ditto. Got mine yesterday. Will be using it mainly for running. Been after one for a while so well pleased.
Phil J Booth - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Another vote for the Rab Demand which is a pull on, but the Rab Momentum is basically the same but with a full zip if you prefer that. I got mine for 80 and would have been happy to pay more for it because its so good. Pretty much all Rab shell jackets comfortably take a climbing helmet underneath, and have good volume adjustment when your not wearing one.
I use mine out fell running so it has to be packable and the eVent really is extremely 'breathable', so I'd say its definitely worth the spending the money, certainly on the top half of your body for any activity.
For legs however, I can understand why people are happy with cheaper ones as they probably get used less and take more of a hammering when they do because its easier to damage them on rocks, putting them on with boots or just getting very muddy in them etc. That said, if I need to wear them all day, I'd rather have something well made, take good care of them rather than feeling like they are a last resort because they are so uncomfortably hot and sweaty!
You got into the mountains and outdoors to enjoy yourself after all.....
sebastian74 - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: outdoor research helium jacket, though a hood goes under the helmet
seb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.