/ custom axles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Richard Carter - on 04 Jan 2013
Where would I go if I wanted to get someone to make me some bike axles? Just I'm after a couple of very obscure ones, they're 146mm by 8mm but with only the tips threaded.

I have no taps/dies/mechanical skill to make them myself.
JLS on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:

What sort of hub are they for? Making axles is tricky. Presumably you have some cones that the thread would need to match and no idea what thread it is. Also the steel would need to be heat treated.

It's a guess but I say it would be easier to find an old matching hub on ebay to steal an axle from, than make one up from scratch. No doubt there is some wee engineering workshop somewhere that's tooled up for the job but a bespoke piece isn't going to be cheap if it take a couple of hours to knock up.
nniff - on 04 Jan 2013

Royce maybe?
http://www.royceuk.co.uk

Hopefully my new wheels will be graced by a pair of their hubs once the weather's improved a bit...
In reply to JLS:

Chances of finding matching parts are zero sadly. The axle just goes through some regular bearings (26mm od, 8mm id, 8mm width) and then has a nut at either end.

My current plan is to use item number 170966459812 from a certain auction site, what do you think? If it's for a petrol scooter then it should be ok strength wise I guess.
JLS on 04 Jan 2013

I still haven't got my head around what you intend to put it in.

So far it seems to be a bike hub where the axle slides into sealed type bearings. I'm not sure how that will spin when you tighten it up in the fork if there arent a series of lock-nuts either side of the bearings. If you do have lock-nuts then are the threads compatible with the moto axle and how do you deal with its fixed end?
Frank4short - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to JLS: As far as i can tell from Richard's previous postings it's a V old bike. So bets are it's a cup and cone based hub system. Which would mean so long as he still has his original hubs and other mounting nuts spacers if the thread happens to be the same, the width is the same and the length is pretty similar (let's say plus or minus maybe 2/3mm) then I'm guessing he should be ok.
I've put a picture explaining how it is at the moment here:
http://www.vataxaccountancy.co.uk/hub.bmp

The reason I need a new axle is because the thread is stripped at one end.
By the way I just knocked up that picture in MS Paint so I apologise for how crude it is! I'd take a photo but I'm not sure it's be any clearer.

The metal cup parts might be the other way around, can't actually remember now. Hmm. The way they are in the picture seems like they'd rub on the hub. The other way seems like they'd rub on the bearings. The bearings are cartidge type ones by the way although they aren't the bearings the bike originally came with though.
Taurig - on 04 Jan 2013

First place I would check out is BETD.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/manufacture.asp
JLS on 04 Jan 2013

So this is some thing ancient you a trying to get running with some bearings and axle?
In reply to JLS:

Well the bearings are fine, just had to undo the axle to take the wheel off to swap the tyre and stripped it. Just need to come up with a replacement axle, everything else works fine. It's old though yes.
JLS on 04 Jan 2013

This any good...

http://tinyurl.com/avee374

... 5/8" = 8mm

It's only 140mm long but 3mm short eachside doesnt seem so bad.
In reply to JLS:

Looked at them but the threaded bit extends into the bearings which I'm assuming isn't a good thing.
JLS on 04 Jan 2013

>"threaded bit extends into the bearings which I'm assuming isn't a good thing"

I doubt that would be a problem.
JLS on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to JLS:

I'm still not getting how you are avoiding big side-ways forces on the bearings when you tighten the wheel nuts.
Guy - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: Is there enough meat on it to re-thread it? Might be the simplest solution.
Hephaestus - on 04 Jan 2013
In reply to Guy:
> (In reply to Richard Carter) Is there enough meat on it to re-thread it? Might be the simplest solution.

+1
Then you just need to get a new nut of slightly smaller dimensions
In reply to JLS:

"I'm still not getting how you are avoiding big side-ways forces on the bearings when you tighten the wheel nuts."

I don't really get it either but its seemed to work so far.
In reply to Guy:

I dont have the technology/ability to rethread it.
ads.ukclimbing.com
martinph78 on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: If you can take a photo of the old axle, and the stripped thread, I'll take a look. Do you know what size thread it has (what size nut is on it).

If it looks possible to rethread it you could stick it in the post and I'll do it for you.
martinph78 on 05 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin1978: I see it's an 8mm axle, so just need to know if it's a metric (8mm thread) or if it's an imperial thread. Again, photo would help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.