/ Cordillera Blanca - mid Aug to mid Sept

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Happy Haggis - on 04 Jan 2013
I'm thinking of heading to the Cordillera Blanca mid Aug to mid Sept this year for some mountaineering.

Does anyone have any experience of the mountaineering conditions in this region at that time of year? I'm conscious that it is towards the end of the dry season in Peru, so would be grateful for any thoughts/tips/suggestions.

peterjhemmings - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Happy Haggis:

I went out in 1998 about the same time of year and weather was good.
The only difficult is climate change is slowly melting more snow. We therefore had a few problems accessing a few routes. May be worse by now.
Enjoy the trip.
Pete
Andes - on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to peterjhemmings:
Probably is a wee bit worse overall now, but 1998 was a very unusual year out there, very cold and dry due to La Niņa weather systems.
I've generally had OK weather that time of year, but my one trip in late September - early October the weather was really starting to go downhill.
John
pec on 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Happy Haggis:
The weather tends to be a little less stable towards the end of the season but as the weather there tends to be some of the most stable mountain weather you'll get anywhere, a little less stable is still quite good.

Unless of course its an El Nino year in which case all hell could break loose!
I don't think its an El Nino year so you should be ok but I'd double check before I bought a plane ticket if I were you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.