/ Season rental

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
earlsdonwhu - on 08 Jan 2013
Has anyone got experience of renting an apartment for a season. Just trying to get a ball park figure of cost as I dream of retiring and doing a season!
Obviously, indicate resort and approx. size please.
Swirly - on 08 Jan 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu: Deux Alpes (6 bed wouldn't want more than 2 in there long term) 4700 + bills although ski in/out and in a quiet part of town but close to the centre with covered parking. Bills were expensive.

Nendaz 3200 including bills 4 bed and much bigger could do 3 for a season (we had 2 + many visitors, 4 visitors at one point). 10 minute walk from the lifts, cost of living was higher though as it's Switzerland.
Andrew_ing - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu: Canmore $1000 a month all bills included for a 2 bedroom with underground parking, about half an hour drive to sunshine, 50 mins from lake Louise
earlsdonwhu - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Swirly: I think those sort of figures were what I was expecting. I would probably look to be in a proper town rather than a purpose built resort so Nendaz, which I have spent 6 weeeks in, would work.

Just been in Serre Chevalier which would be fine with access to bigger places for non ski stuff and access to other resorts like La Grave!
Frank4short - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Just been in Serre Chevalier which would be fine with access to bigger places for non ski stuff and access to other resorts like La Grave!

So long as the pass is open, which it often isn't. I'd sooner look at somewhere down the road L2A, A2 and La Grave than the other side of the massive. Though of course that's just my personal preference.
Swirly - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to earlsdonwhu)
>
> [...]
>
> So long as the pass is open, which it often isn't.

Rarely shut IMO given it's the main route between Grenoble and Italy, normally if it shuts the avvy risk is too high to be doing any interesting skiing so you wouldn't miss much. Also being on the far side gives you a lot more access the tree skiing in Serre Che, Montgenevre and Puy St Vincent that is lacking in the places you mention.

That said I'd stay in one of the places you mention.
Swirly - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu: Nendaz was great, you can actually get up Mt Fort faster from there than from Verbier, just don't expect any nightlife and be prepared to speak French all season.
ads.ukclimbing.com
earlsdonwhu - on 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Swirly:
Speaking French is fine! In fact, if this ever comes off the fewer Brits around the better in a way.

At my age skiing and night life do not coexist. I save myself for the important stuff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.