Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Guides really worth it?

Bob_the_Builder - on 11 Jan 2013
I've reached a bit of a conundrum. I love Scottish mountaineering, big winter days, and long multi-day backpacking trips. I can climb up to Scottish III and lead VS trad. I want to move into the world of high Alpine climbing.

My problem is that I don't really have any friends who want to take the leap with me. I don't have any experience with glacier travel and the highest altitude I've been is just over 3000m. I've started considering that maybe the only way I'm going to get the skills I need is to go on a guided skills week in the Alps.

However I've always been deeply suspicious of "guided holidays" in all forms, and all the skills I have at the moment are learned from more experienced friends or through trial and error on my own. I'm sure there are others on here who have been at this point before, and I'm particularly keen to hear from those who DID take a guide and how that went. Is gettign a guide really worth it?
... not showing 42 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums