/ Gogarth in February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mike lawrence? - on 15 Jan 2013
Needing to have something to look forward to i'm planning a trip to Gogarth in early Feb. Assumming there's been a couple of dry days before hand and there's no strong wind how likely is it to be warm enough to be pleasant? Just interested in Red Wall through to Easter Island so not bothered about Holyhead mountain or castell helen. I'm really looking for tales of t shirts and shorts!

mike
mrchewy - on 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates: I was on the Wen in November and had the hot aches - being in the shade wasn't the best idea, all three of us shivered quite madly. That was with no wind and a few degrees above zero. Brilliant day and my first time on a E2 but the hot aches had me off as I couldn't feel a thing on the fingery traverse.
davidoldfart - on 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates: Unless it gets unseasonably mild - like 15 degrees - I would not go near the place. There's something about Gogarth rock that keeps it greasy for a while and it can be bitter. I remember struggling up Concrete Chimney in November and as well as hotaches I had incipient hypothermia by the time I reached the top. A critical factor is wind. Pretty much the whole crag catches any that's going. If it's really, really still you might have a better chance of enjoying it. Tremadog is a much better bet.
Jonny2vests - on 15 Jan 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:

Tremadog has always been swamp like when I've been in Winter, maybe I've been unlucky. And most of Gogarth doesn't get enough sun. In Winter, you need sun.

I'd say Pembroke trumps North Wales this time of year, the Orme can be a sun trap though.
jezb1 - on 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates: Climbed Britomartis last Friday, had a great time. The start of spider wall was soaking so backed off that.
The crag was out of the wind.

Climbed Dream last January, another great day out.
Captain Gear - on 15 Jan 2013
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to davidoldfart)
>
> Tremadog has always been swamp like when I've been in Winter, maybe I've been unlucky.

I did Pincushion in the sun today... It was great. The first access pitch wasn't that great though.
Tyler - on 15 Jan 2013
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates:

Castell Helen and Yellow Walls will get afternoon sun, as does North Stack Wall and Rhoscolyn, no sure about RW itself. Not sure about the Orme being a sun trap, most of Great Orme faces East, evening sun on Yellow Walls but it can be breezy. There's always Clwyd Rock in the rainshadow....
Jonny2vests - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Tyler:

Yeah, you're right, ignore me, brain fart. Gogarth with a lazy start would be better.
Al Evans on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates: According to the 19990 guide 21 routes have been put up on Gog in Feb, though 10 of them were in 1967, the rest are more spread out and no doubt more have been since then.
Al Evans on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Sorry that should say the 1990 guide :-)
CurlyStevo - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates:
Swanage has got to be one of the best winter trad spots although I'm sure you know that......
Bulls Crack - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to davidoldfart)
>

>
> I'd say Pembroke trumps North Wales this time of year, the Orme can be a sun trap though.

The Orme mostly faces North East!
Jonny2vests - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Yes, we've covered that.
Bulls Crack - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to jonny2vests:

Doh....

We could ask the BMC to buy it and turn it round?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Jonny2vests - on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

It was them that turned it north east.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.