Walls & Training forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Fitness after heart attack

Mark Edwards - on 16 Jan 2013
Is there anyone with experience of getting climbing fit again after a heart attack (mild to moderate, 2 stents fitted) and how long itís going to take?
Last Wed I ran 2 sessions of about 10k and whilst I was a bit stiff I put that down to being stuck in a car for about 6hrs on Tue.
At 1:10 Thu morning I woke up with chest pains which abated after a while so went back to bed which was when the big one hit.

So now after getting released from hospital I have been told to limit my walking to about 2 sessions of ten minutes a day, avoid unnecessary trips up stairs, not to drive for two weeks and not to do anything that involves pulling or pushing.
At first I didnít believe that I would suddenly be so unfit, although it has become clear that my stamina is now only a fraction of what it was.

Another interesting observation was that of the approx 30 people on the various Cardiology wards the majority were amateur footballers (they either already knew each other or their visitors did), one who was training to run a marathon, a couple of squash players and some ex military. In short there wasnít anyone who was obviously unfit or seriously overweight, which seemed to imply that perhaps that group either donít get heart attacks or would only ever have one.
... not showing 20 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums