Destinations forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Off to Chamonix

farmerboy - on 18 Jan 2013
Hi
I've been a regular lurker for years but never bothered regestering, so please excuse the lack of profile.
Myself and my mate are both celebrating our 40th birthdays this year, so by way of a present our wives are giving us 7 days to go and play in the Alps, we have both always wanted to visit Chamonix so at the end of June we will be boarding the Eurotunnel and driving down, the problem is, this is as far as our planning has got.
We probabaly won't get this chance again so we'd like it to be memorable. We have both spent time in the Alps skiing but not any form of climbing as we've always been with our families in the past, we have climbed together for just over ten years having regular trips to Scotland, Wales and the Lakes, we also climb regularlary (sp?) on and around the Mendips where we live both climbing E1/E2.
So, a few questions.
1) We need to keep this as cheap as possible, so can anybody recomend a cheap campsite in or around Chamonix? We'll be tenting it so a warm shower is all we require.
2) We're not interested in knocking off tons of routes or anything like that, just soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying being in and around the mountains, but if anyone can recommend an easy route perhaps a nice ridge route or somthing along those lines? or maybe a 2 day route with overnight bivvy etc?
3)Is the Téléphérique de l'Aiguille du Midi worth the money? Could a route be incorperated from it? I appreciate we can't be going too high.
4)We'd like to give Via ferrata a go, any recommendations?
5)Anything else we should know or do?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure there was something else I was going to ask but I forget now.

Cheers
Lee
... not showing 12 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums