/ 35 and 3 points

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
999thAndy on 19 Jan 2013
For driving without due care. http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/18/taxi-driver-fined-cyclists-death which hardly seems sufficient.
(Apologies if this has already been posted)
Chris the Tall - on 19 Jan 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
Discussed on the 4x4 on snowdon, where the usual suspects have rushed to defend the motorist. Apparently if something unexpected occurs, a motorist shouldn't be expected to apply their brakes. I suppose it's one way to keep the traffic moving.
999thAndy on 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: I must have missed the snowdon thread.
off-duty - on 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
> Discussed on the 4x4 on snowdon, where the usual suspects have rushed to defend the motorist. Apparently if something unexpected occurs, a motorist shouldn't be expected to apply their brakes. I suppose it's one way to keep the traffic moving.

I don't think anyone has rushed to defend the motorist. It may well be that he deliberately mowed down a cyclist who was doing nothing wrong.
Unfortunately that doesn't appear to have been what was provable at court.
Unless you want to remove the presumption of innocence and the requirement to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt that is the system we are stuck with.
EddInaBox on 19 Jan 2013
John_Hat - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
> Discussed on the 4x4 on snowdon, where the usual suspects have rushed to condemn the motorist.

Fixed that for you.
In reply to off-duty:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Unless you want to remove the presumption of innocence and the requirement to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt that is the system we are stuck with.

No, no, you don't understand. On here, failing to immediately come out with a badly spelled and spittle-infested diatribe about how motorists are the worthless scum of the earth preying on helpless, defenceless, law-abiding cyclists, whatever the facts behind any particular incident might actually be = "defending the motorist".

Also saying "we don't actually know much about the incident, perhaps deferring judgement until we do is a good idea" = "defending the motorist".

And, of course, some stupid comment about "well, we don't know all the facts, perhaps the magistrate who made the decision on sentencing and was in court, has more facts than we do and is in a better position than us to know what occurred" is clearly total insane-foaming-at-the-mouth idiocy exhibited by the kind of drivers who go out at night looking for cyclists to run down, then paint little cycles on the front wings of their cars to show how many cyclists they have killed, and then have cyclist-killing conventions where they discuss the best way of killing cyclists and getting away with it.

In fact I need to add another cycle to the front wing of my car, I'll get out there with a paintbrush in a second.
Boogs on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

John_Hat your post reminds of an article written for a sunday paper a while ago by quite a well known chef .
In reply to boogie man:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> John_Hat your post reminds of an article written for a sunday paper a while ago by quite a well known chef .

Sorry, you're going to have to give more information so I get the reference!
MJ - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

In fact I need to add another cycle to the front wing of my car, I'll get out there with a paintbrush in a second.

Save time and get some of these: -

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/hit_and_run_sticker-217105399799730469
Boogs on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

James Martin wrote it and created bit of a shit storm if I remember rightly .
Horse on 20 Jan 2013
gethin_allen on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
Considering that you can get fined 80 for not paying you cartax on time and can get 6 points for doing over 90 on a motorway without having caused an accident
just knowing that the driver didn't stop immediately Youdon't r eally need to see all the facts to think this sounds a bit soft.
A parking ticket can cost you more than 35.
ads.ukclimbing.com
off-duty - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> Considering that you can get fined 80 for not paying you cartax on time and can get 6 points for doing over 90 on a motorway without having caused an accident
> just knowing that the driver didn't stop immediately Youdon't r eally need to see all the facts to think this sounds a bit soft.
> A parking ticket can cost you more than 35.

I agree that the fine does seem derisory - but it appears that the sum total of the careless driving appears to be that the driver failed to maintain proper control of his car following a collision with a cyclist, and he appears to have plead guilty at the earliest opportunity with the mitigation I would imagine that he was not responsible for the collision.
From the reported facts he might well have had a strong case for a not guilty verdict had he challenged it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.