/ Talk me out of spending lots of money...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stuart William - on 20 Jan 2013
A full rack of cams isn't really all that necessary for limestone is it? Or is it?
The Norris - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

Do it, before you spend it on beer.
Boogs on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

No .

But those Totems look lovely don't they ? What fine design & engineering.

http://www.totemcams.com/catalogue/index.php?id=1&f=1

The DMM Dragons look a bit spesh too , do they not ?

Don't do it .

In reply to 2PointO: Ooo, the totems do look rather fancy. Hadn't thought about them. I've already got some Dragons and can't decide if I should buy the other sizes of them or get different cams. Or get new half-ropes.
Darren Jackson - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

Do it. You need them. You need them all.
Blue Straggler - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

Get wired tricams! I got six for about 44 Euros direct from Kouba :-)
jas wood - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO: Are you going to climb exclusively on limestone for the rest of your time ? i have used cams on limestone. Get a set 1-2-3 and build on that.
The Ex-Engineer - on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO: FWIW my current thinking on cams for general UK climbing is:
small - Wild Country Zeros, sizes 4,5,6
medium - DMM Dragons, sizes 1,2,3,4
large - DMM Demon cams, sizes 3.5 & 4

I think Dragons are currently the best cams on the market in the size range 1-4.

Above that Demons, retain most of their advantages but are a bit lighter.

However, below a Dragon size 1, I think you should really look at dedicated micro cams. My preference is for WC Zeros as they retain the doubled slings of the Dragons/Demons, but others prefer Metolius Master cams, Aliens (now being made by Fixe) or Black Diamond C3s.

HTH
cuppatea on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

You are Bolderlicious and I claim my 5 pounds.
Trevor Langhorne on 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:
Cams aren't essential on limestone, wiggly sided cracks and slick rock can cause problems (cam walking, easier to pull out under load). Personally I prefer wires and hexes to cams on limestone. However on rock with more uniform sided cracks and a bit more texture they are the first things on the rack. Obviously everyone has their own ideas about what is best, just thought I would drop my thoughts and experience into the pot.
In reply to jas wood: No, obviously not. Limestone just happens to be most local at the moment. And I have sizes 1, 2, and 3. I just wanted someone to give me a good enough excuse to not spend the money.

End result: I spent the money.
HB1 - on 20 Jan 2013

> End result: I spent the money. . .

. . . don't know where your local limestone is, but if it's Derbyshire then, like Trevor says, take care in the placements and don't rely too heavily on them

dale1968 - on 21 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO: they look good hung up in the garage!
ads.ukclimbing.com
alasdair19 on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO: you need about 6 cams between 2, so if you have mates then hey but 3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.