/ What's in Rocksalt?
I've eaten rather a lot of it over the past few days....
are you pregnant?
But in reply, no.
They've been laying it on thick on the road for the last week, lots of it has ended up in my mouth!
in some places they spread potassium chloride as well as sodium chloride. I have heard of ethylene glycol being used too, but I wasn't sure about that as it's quite poisonous.
Strange cravings + being with child = eating rocksalt. (:-))
> I've eaten rather a lot of it over the past few days....
If you're eating it after it's been spread on the road it will contain everything from spilt diesel to essence of dead cat/rat/crow :-)
Yep. some areas have problems with sheep on the road 'cos they're eating the salt
Off the road it could well hav edead cat etc in it, I advise not eating it, to quote my daughter, " Keep your big flapping in the wind gob shut"
I advise not eating it, to quote my daughter, " Keep your big flapping in the wind gob shut"
I'll try! This is the irony of getting healthy by riding your bike in a busy area.
WTF - do you cycle with your tongue dragging on the ground?
Unfortunately I can't find the reference to check on its provenance.
Anybody else heard about this?
Yes, saw someone had posted about this on facebook...according to them it's antifreeze?
Happens all the time round here... on Winnats pass and the Chatsworth road the cheeky buggers dont even move. I've been known to nudge them out of the way with the car!
The worse was a road I took a few times to come into ffestiniogg where the sheep slept on a very fast country road, probably as it retained heat. I was Colin McCrae-ing it over at 2am, come over the top of a small knoll and was faced with 5 sheep sleeping in front of me... I was inches away from mutton for tea!
> WTF - do you cycle with your tongue dragging on the ground?
Don't be ridiculous man, I use my tongue to clean the bike afterwards
> Yes, saw someone had posted about this on facebook...according to them it's antifreeze?
apparently, cats love the taste of anti freeze, they cant get enough of it, which is unfortunate as its highly toxic to them & causes them long agonising deaths!!
"UK salt producers use sodium hexacyanoferrate (II) at a level below 100mg/kg in rock salt for de-icing. The additive has a low toxicity and is an authorised additive under both Food and Animal Feed regulations"
If it wasn't added the salt sticks together in one mahoosive lump
Elsewhere on the site
Nuts, wires, stoppers, chocks, wedges, whatever you want to call them, have been around for a long time. Initially made from... Read more
Pete Whittaker has flashed the 32 pitch route Freerider 5.12d on El Capitan in Yosemite Valley over three days,... Read more
The Grivel A&D Ascender & Descender is brand new for Autumn 2014 and incorporates a revolutionary and innovative patented... Read more
This survey is being conducted by the Outdoor Industries Association in order to find out more about how and why people... Read more
From a personal point of view, photographing the night sky is one of the most difficult, frustrating yet ultimately rewarding... Read more