Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Do i want B2 or B3 boots?

Sam Maher - on 21 Jan 2013
Hi all,

Im currently having a dilemma about what boots would be best for my situation. Fearing a potential, very expensive, mistake coming...

I'll be going to the Alps this summer for my first season and the general advice is to go for the tried and tested La Sportiva Nepal's however i dont want to spend that kind of money on a boot i can only really use once a year. Ideally i'd like to be able to use it for Scottish winter scrambling that way when im not climbing in the summer, i can go for exciting walks/scrambles in the winter. The suggestion for this type of use i gather is a B2 boot as the Nepals would be "overkill".

Bearing in mind that within the next 5yrs i'd like to take up ice climbing, is it better to put up with the uncomfortable walk ins for alpine routes to save money on not having to buy another pair of boots when i transition to ice climbing?... or in 5yrs, might I have worn the Nepals out in which case i'd have to buy new boots anyway?

Would be interesting to hear what the general opinion is. is there such a thing as a boot that can do both? is there even that much of a difference?

Thanks in advance

Sam
... not showing 34 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums