/ Pen Yr Ole Wen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AdCo82 on 22 Jan 2013
Via the East Ridge is this a worthy scramble / winter route?

what is it like in soft snow, full winter nick and bare rock?

is it an enjoyable route?
IainRUK - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: An enjoyable route.. the scrambling section is very minor and short.. I've done it snowed up, never iced up, but what height is it? 800m? Due to its situation it's fairly unlikely to overly ice and its not much of a drainage line..

I like it as a way up, you'll get great views of Tryfan and the glyders and into cwm lloer..

I doubt it classes as a scramble.. or winter route.. certainly very low in the grade 1 territory, but I've never done it iced up. However even though it is short its quite exposed and a fall would be nasty..
AdCo82 on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

cheers. so it doesn't warrant a rope?

after the ascent do you recommend going across the carneddau rather than down the south ridge?
IainRUK - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: For sure.. I'd circuit the cwm.. up and then down the S ridge is a short day.. not much more than 2-3 hrs.. it's probably under the hour as a run. But a traverse is a stunning high level walk, above 3000ft for a good few hours.

So summit > Dafydd > Llewelyn, then out East and either descend via the horrific concrete road or do one or two of the next peaks.. Pen yr lithrigg Wrach and Pen yr helgi Du.. I forget the order..

The descent of Carnedd Llewelyn, around Craig yr Ysfa is a rocky nose too.. easier than the way up the E ridge but also worth being cautious with.. the ascent up the next peak is a stunning airy ridge.. looks imposing as you approach but in fact very straight forwards.

Normally no rope is needed. I never have even considered one, but a short walking confidence rope may be a decent idea. I'm not in Snowdonia at the moment so don't know what condition it is in.
IainRUK - on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Oh to get back just walk along the old A5.. the track on the South side of the A5.. its one my favourite loops in snowdonia.. effectively the carneddau leg of the paddy buckley.. the descent of the final peak is a grassy trod.. not marked on the map.. then follow the leat and descend on the bridleway SW? I don't have a map.. back to the A5.. and then across to the old track and back to Glendana..
AdCo82 on 22 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

perfect. that route is a definite for me then.

cheers pal.

anyone recently been up to either of the above peaks?
Mike Peacock on 23 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: There's one brief step/gully that does get iced up but is never too difficult. Above that, leave the path and stick as close to the right of the ridge. This gives better views and a few extra optional steps.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/8232241252/in/photostream/lightbox/

If you run short on time it is possible to descend south from Rhos Bodesi (above the Black Ladders) back to the mouth of Cwm Lloer. You can also descend south from near Craig Llugwy, if you pick up the Afon Bodesi there is a signed path lower down that takes you to Oggi Base (Bryn Poeth).
Ruub on 23 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
Hi, ski'd up the waterboard road from the A5 (towards Fynnon Llugwy resr) yesterday from the A5, did a small loop off to the right and up on to the ridge and back down the same way.
Loads of snow, a few icey patches, (unfortunately watching the rescue too)
Looking at the forecast it shouldbe very similar for at least today and maybe tomorrow too, currently light snowfall here nearer sea level too)
SNC on 23 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
We were in the area on Sunday. Just uploaded a photo of the base of the E ridge on Sunday morning, so it'll be the solitary photo in my gallery after moderation (exciting new experience). We saw 2 people descending the ridge, looked as though there was an awkward bit for descent at least, probably the bit another poster refers to. We decided against, not really in the mood for it, and slogged up to Dafydd and took care not to walk over the Black Ladders. Fair amount of soft snow in places, which I suppose may have consolidated by now.
AdCo82 on 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Ruub:

Rescue?

Thanks for the further advice and the photo's people.
Ruub on 23 Jan 2013
philbrynmaen - on 23 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Had a fantastic day on Broad Gully (Cwm Lloer)and then completing the round via PYOW, Dafydd, Llewellyn, Helgi du then easy yomp down the snowy ridge to reach the leat and the final 300m or so of the boring road reservoir road. Skiiers were enjoying conditions on Helgi di. Can't imagine winter conditions being much better!
AdCo82 on 23 Jan 2013
In reply to philbrynmaen:

it sounds lovely. sods law all this snow will be gone for when I make the trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.