HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Lyme Disease in the UK

Nicola S - on 25 Jan 2013
HI Folks,

Just wanted to let you know about the Protest I am organising for Lyme Disease. I have had Lyme Disease since 2008, I used to be a keen climber, hillwalker and mountain biker. Now I can't do any of those things as I am too ill. As you probably know, hillwalkers are at risk of getting tick bites and thus catching Lyme Disease. Don't think there isn't any Lyme Disease near you- it's everywhere. I picked mine up on the Isle of Rhum, West coast of Scotland, but there is Lyme Disease in the central London parks, suburban areas, lots of woods and moors, basically where there are ticks. Birds are one of the main carriers and they are very mobile!

The NHS are pretty clueless when it comes to treating and diagnosing Lyme disease. There are a few clued up GP's but the vast majority are hopeless. It's not their fault, they are given misinformation by the Health Protection Agency. If you catch Lyme and manage to get diagnosed, it is likely that you will get up to 4 weeks antibiotics. If you are still ill after this, they usually won't give further treatment. They say further treatment won't work, as that is what they have been told. This is not what the scientific literature says, but most doctors don't have time to read this and so trust what they are told.

The result is thousands of patients are left to rot, basically, and only those who can afford private treatment can recover. This is a terrible situation and we are protesting to try and get things changed.

For more information, please see our website:

http://worldwide-lyme-protest.org.uk/

There is general information on there about Lyme and the links are relevant to the UK. Read up on the subject before the tick season starts!

Nicola S

... not showing 43 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums