/ Reviving the Cairngorm at end of feb thread
Just wondering who's still up for it?
I was just about to email u when I saw this thread. I'm still good to go. Got 2 weeks off beginning Sunday 17th. Back on the 4th march
I personally tend to think the west coast is often better at that time of year - there is more ice and neve lines which tend to survive thaws better as well as more routes at height which are facing N (ish). Also the sea has cooled down so its less subsetable to thaws on the west than at the beginning of the season. Also if its cold things often tend to consolidate better on the west coast due to the extra humidity in the air.
There is also typically more snow on the west than the east and aids in producing ice and neve after thaws.
Of course every year is different.
I originally said I'd be up for it, however, we've decided that Glen Coe will probably have more to offer at that time of year.
We have a raft of grade II's and III's to look at - including Aonach Eagach Ridge.
Good luck in the Cairngorms and I hope I'm wrong about conditions - I hope we all have a stonking week wherever we are.
Obviously, if you're around Ballaculish/Glen Coe then we could still hook up.
I think the general consensus was to chase the conditions anyway. I know I'm happy to move around a bit do might still be able to sort something. :)
Great, we will also be going to Alex's (Only a Hill) book launch at the Clachaig. But aside from that, here's our wish list, based on them being classics and the fact that we only get to Scotland once a year...
Curved Ridge (II/III 3) on Buachaille Etive Mor - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=47795
Aonach Eagach Ridge (II) - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=47797
Dorsal Arete (II) on Stob Coire Nan Lochan - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=7889
Golden Oldy (II) on Aonach Mor - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=37785
Right Twin (II) on Aonach Mor - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=32289
Boomerang Gully (II) on Stob Coire Nan Lochan - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=7884
I feel so bad, especially as I started the ball rolling on this but I'm going to have to bail. Really sorry guys.
I may still get out, but it will prob be nearer to home like Glencoe. Cairngorms are 3hrs away whereas Glencoe is 45 mins!
Sorry to hear that Paul, hope everything's ok. If you do manage to get out at all, even just for a day, feel free to give me a call (sent my number via email).
I have got holiday booked for a week 22nd Feb on and would be keen on getting up to Scotland if there are people interested.
Like I said I may still manage a few days in Glencoe so not a ruined week, but not what was planned.
Howdy guys, apologies for the delay in replying. Been up in the lakes for the weekend. I'll be up there for the dates I mentioned in an earlier post but may need to head back to the real world on the 25th for a day or 2 as I've got an exam (currently trying to change it), other than that its all good just gonna load the car with supplies and go wherever. I can pass my details on to you dasc (and any others) if you want to try to arrange something that would be great.
Elsewhere on the site
This Winter Conditions page gives a summary of what is being climbed at the moment, what is 'in' nick and what the prospects are... Read more
The release of Peter Jackson's new film The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on 12th December may not appear to link to... Read more
This years ROCfest will be slightly different. We've decided to run a Climbing Festival, not just a competition! Over... Read more
On Saturday 13th December Greg Boswell and Guy Robertson kicked off their Scottish winter season early by making the... Read more
F ounded in 1993, Mountain Hardwear are a pretty young mountaineering clothing and equipment manufacturer but are also one of... Read more
The Epicentre Mega Winter Sale starts in store 9am Christmas Eve. We have a great selection of in store only deals from... Read more