Skiing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Touring in Austria

The Bushman on 27 Jan 2013
Just a bit of info for those who seek a good destination for touring in the Alps. Theres a lot of talk about France as it seems the go to place for ice climbing and skiing in general but Austria really is the hidden gem.

Alpine feel in even the biggest resorts no big tower blocks like in France. So much skiing you will never see the end of it.

Been flying to Munich the past ten years. Then simply a 45 drive to Bavarian Alps or maybe an 1.5hr to the main Inn valley in Austria. There is so much choice. You dont have to go high just look at where the snowfall has been and local weather conditions all tourist info's have weather and avalanche forecasts. Last week visited the Karwendel lying on Austro-German border. Parked car on the side of road at 900m then ascended a 2100m peak. First through forest then onto upper slopes/ridges to summit.

Deep powder stunning views. Down to devour masses of meat and wheat beer, if thats your sort of thing!

In the same week altered days of touring with ice climbing as they seem to go hand in hand for me. Again the quality of routes are fab. Check out Kuhtai and Sellrain valleys off the main Inn valley, its high valleys in Tyrol
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums