/ Cheap as possible sport climbing destination for easter trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
yorkshiresherpa - on 27 Jan 2013
Hi All,

Me and my girlfriend are thinking of going on a sport climbing trip in Easter but need it to be cheap as possible as we already are saving for a bigger trip to asia in the summer. I just wanted to ask if anyone on here had any good recommendations from their own experience.

We are willing to fly anywhere from the north if it makes the flight cheaper. It would be good if we could go somewhere where the crags are reachable on foot or public transport as we won't be driving. Also ideally single pitch crags with a good spread of grades especially around the f4/5+ mark to so theres alot for my missus to have a go on as shes not been climbing that long.

So far I've been looking at Spain, Croatia, Mallorca, Kalymnos etc but just wondered which place was cheapest in terms of total trip cost?
Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

John

chocolatefingers - on 27 Jan 2013
In reply to yorkshiresherpa:

You could get a flight to Southampton and then hitch to Portland. Cheap as chips! :p

Went to Costa Blanca Spain last winter and was pretty cheap. You will need a car to get to the crags...but when I was there, the orange house owners were in the process of making a second hostel near sella where you wouldn't need a car.

It's a risky game taking gfs climbing...the amount of domestics I've had on the crag as a result of them not being able to remove gear I've placed, or setting up shit belays, or getting lost of the route...if it goes well you'll know it's love!

Good Luck
GridNorth - on 27 Jan 2013
In reply to yorkshiresherpa: Can't comment on Croatia, I have never been but for convenience, quality and quantity of routes within a small area Kalymnos wins hands down and is as cheap as chips.
freelunchprovider - on 27 Jan 2013
In reply to GridNorth: Chorro-cheap flights to Malaga from anywhere but remember prices go up at easter/half terms etc so go earlier/later for full skinflint trip. 10 euro max train to village from airport. 10 euroish night at Olive Branch/Finca or take a tent and dirtbag it. No car needed plenty to walk to on first trip.
Blue Straggler - on 27 Jan 2013

One of my cheapest ever holidays was to Croatia in 2009 but there were 5 of us so the costs were spread nicely. We had two cars between five of us, over ten days, and my whole holiday came in at 320! This was Istria in Northern Croatia, we flew to Ljubljana and drove down. Paklenica is the more "obvious" climbing destination, I have not been so I don't know if you need a car there.
Kalymnos is probably a good bet, there are plenty of low grade routes (many might feel "samey though"). There is nothing much else to do on Kalymnos but go climbing (beaches are pebble beaches and a bit small and rubbish, and the terrain is not welcoming for " a nice stroll")
It can take a bit of effort to actually get there (see numerous threads on UKC about ferries and so on)
mlg678 - on 27 Jan 2013
In reply to yorkshiresherpa: How about the Pyrenees, french side. We went to this place for a long weekend, 4 nights, and was amazing. the local crag is just 5 minute walk and is brilliant. We flew to Toulouse and drove there but you can get the train and they will pick up/drop off. Jon and Debs are great hosts to.

http://www.basecalames.com/
Jonathan Emett - on 27 Jan 2013
In reply to chocolatefingers:
> (In reply to yorkshiresherpa)
>
> You could get a flight to Southampton and then hitch to Portland. Cheap as chips! :p
Camping in weymouth is insanely expensive. 20-odd quid pppn! And then you've got to get to portland every day
Sam Mayfield - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to chocolatefingers:
> (In reply to yorkshiresherpa)
>
>>
> Went to Costa Blanca Spain last winter and was pretty cheap. You will need a car to get to the crags...but when I was there, the orange house owners were in the process of making a second hostel near sella where you wouldn't need a car.
>
The Orange House is making more accommodation at Sella Crag, however it will not be "posh girlfriend" type for a while. Easter will be camping only with a shower block etc

Sam Orange
tallsteve - on 28 Jan 2013

We did Costa blanca last year as a family of four. Stayed here:
http://www.tabproperties.co.uk/ and enjoyed UK summer temperatures (around 20 degrees with mixed sun and overcast. 1 half day of rain. dried quickly)

Check out the prices, they've plummeted since we stayed last year here:
http://www.tabproperties.co.uk/Prices.html 250 for a week for a 2 bedroomed apartment by the Sea and with loads of climbing nearby. Bargain!!

Flew Easy Jet to Alicante about 120 return per head all in no "thieving Irish g*t" hidden charges either.

Car came with apptment for an extra 100. There's an extra 50 Euro cleaning fee to add not mentioned on the site. The guy that owns it is English, and really easy to deal with. (Not me I might add, although I am also a really nice guy!!) We were sent the key and picked the car up at the airport - no transfer to worry about either.

New Costa Blanca Rockfax guide due out end of Feb here:
http://www.duxbooks.co.uk/Spain%3A-Costa-Blanca-det-0-0-0-292.html

There are a number of climbs within walking distance so you could manage without the car, though would need to bus from Alicante, so the car is probably worth it.

Loads of extra stuff to do. Checkout the Canyoning, climbing, walking and scary ridges in the area here:
http://www.tabproperties.co.uk/climbing.html

Would go back like a shot, but we're saving up for a family of four to go to Australia so no cash :-(
ads.ukclimbing.com
tallsteve - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

p.s. Pueblo Mascarat is just off the main coast road, so buses to Calpe (Good climbing) and the supermarket shouldn't be an issue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.