/ Any idea of climbing conditions on Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bert - on 28 Jan 2013
Hey there,
My climbing partner and I are hoping to make the 10 hour drive up to Ben Nevis for some climbing Friday till Monday this week. Does anyone know what the conditions are like up there?
Routes we're thinking of include Tower Ridge, Green Gully, Comb Gully & North-East Buttress. If anyone has any info on these routes it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
David S Gainor - on 28 Jan 2013
Bump (I'm the climbing partner!)
Father Noel Furlong on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Bert:

Pretty crap. Snow mostly unconsolidated and unbonded.

Some good icefalls though but nothing to get excited about.
Nath93 - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Bert: Likewise on conditions (also on AM and in Glencoe) although I don't have as far to come. If anyone has any updates through the week it would be appreciated.
Richard Bentley - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Bert:
There today, the mountain is storm bound at the moment and looks like staying that way till Wednesday night.
There is a fair amount of ice forming but things like the curtain and vanishing are not there yet. There is heaps of snow high up and by the weekend, if it settles down, then conditions could be good. Green and Comb will be ok but will need a few days to consolidate once the stormy weather has abated.
Cold conditions forecast for thurs / fri and then slightly milder sat / sun.
Milesy - on 29 Jan 2013
Anyone had a goose at Waterfall Gully? Looking for some more weekend options if the higher crags are out. How are the CIC cascades looking?
Tiernan - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:

There were some good conditions on the Cascades last week, however it seems this mini thaw and stormy weather may have deteriorated them a little. Some pictures and reports on Beta Stream of the cascades;

http://beta-stream.com/region/west_highlands
Milesy - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Tiernan:

Thank you
Tiernan - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Milesy:

No problem, hopefully this thaw does the conditions some good in the long run :-)
Bert - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Bert: Thanks for the info guys, hopefully it will improve. I would appreciate an update if anyone is up there Thursday so I can decide if it is worth the trip.
I will return the favour by reporting on the conditions as I leave (if we do make it up with this weather that is)
Jamie B - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Bert:

Friday looks decent, Saturday starting cold but getting mild. Sunday looks a bit crap.
CurlyStevo - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
The current long range looks more freeze than thaw, with possibility of things going properly back to freeze in the long run, looks very positive for late season conditions building. http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/gfsx.php?inv=0&plot=850&region=eu&t=9p
mux - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Richard Bentley: looks like we might be heading up just for a beer then .Richard :).
David S Gainor - on 29 Jan 2013
Anyone been out today?
Bert - on 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Bert: Bump
Lamb - on 30 Jan 2013
Lamb - on 30 Jan 2013
Big Lee - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Bert:

Anybody been out today? Sounds like a decent sized dump of snow has fallen.
Jamie B - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Big Lee:

> Anybody been out today? Sounds like a decent sized dump of snow has fallen.

Loads. Too much. Lots of sloughs today and a worrying layer of graupel now in the snowpack. Plenty of ice too but it's all buried. I'd go somewhere else.

paulmck - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie B: was up there today and bailed out at noon. Knee deep soft snow in number 4 gully sitting on a layer of graupel. Rather confised about the SAIS forecast as it doesn't seem to match what we saw. Loads of teams bailing - the ice factor was mobbed at 3.00pm!!!!
george mc - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to paulmck:
> (In reply to Jamie B) was up there today and bailed out at noon. Knee deep soft snow in number 4 gully sitting on a layer of graupel. Rather confised about the SAIS forecast as it doesn't seem to match what we saw. Loads of teams bailing - the ice factor was mobbed at 3.00pm!!!!

Avalanche outlook is heavily dependant on weather forecast being correct. Weather forecast wrong = avalanche outlook not so correct!

Hence the importance of 'on the hill' observations as you walk in/approach the climb. Good call though by the sound of things to bail when ya did.
Areteroute - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to george mc: Was up today. Snow fell heavily all day, pushed by strong winds into the Coire. Lots and lots of snow. Teams bailing out everywhere. We ended up having a wee solo play at The Gulch.
stella1 - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Jamie B: just wondering where you would recommend as the somewhere else? heading north tonight and any good tips from someone up there would be appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.