/ Honeymoon in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My Gravity on 28 Jan 2013
If you had a week to spend in the Lake District for a honeymoon, where would you go and where would you stay?

boots - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: Randy pike outgate nr hawkshead...
BelleVedere on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

the wish list

ODG
Drunken Duck
Blacksail YHA
A tent somewhere highup

now i just need to find a victim... err husband

Orgsm on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:
> (In reply to My Gravity)
>
> the wish list
>
> now i just need to find a victim... err husband

You could always go no a practise honeymoon
Orgsm on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Probably Eskdale or one of the less busy western areas. For Eskdale you've got the Eskdale - Ravenglass railway as well. Another option is to stay out on the Cumbrian cost somewhere.
The New NickB - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:

I stayed in the NDG this weekend, never been a fan as a pub, but it is actually a much nicer hotel than the ODG.
Edradour - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:
> (In reply to My Gravity)
>
> the wish list
>
> ODG
> Drunken Duck
> Blacksail YHA
> A tent somewhere highup
>

Come on, it's a honeymoon! I'm all for enjoying the outdoors and everything but some perspective is needed here I reckon...

To the OP - There are loads of really posh hotels (and B&Bs) in the Lakes, I'd stay in one of those. Do a bit of climbing or walking or whatever during the day but on your honeymoon the evenings should be spent having nice meals, cozy pubs etc, and enjoying a spot of luxury.

pog100 - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Great Cockup
Heike - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:
Well, it depends on what you both want...

My honeymoon was spent up in the Northwest of Scotland. We had a great time. I recall two nights in Strabeg bothy having climbed at Creag Shomarlie (very nice) -all by ourselves, and a night sleeping in the back of the car infront of the police station in Kinlochbervie after a night out in the only opne pub in the Far Northwestern Coastal Highlands!

It was great, so I think it depends on the demands/desires/likes of your wife to be - I like climbing, bothying, being in the hills, I don't think I would have enjoyed an afternoon in the beauty saloon /spa - wedding or not (sorry Edradour).

So, my advice would be, what does your girl like and what does she want...find out and deliver accordingly! You can't go wrong.
tchnorton - on 28 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance: If staying in Eskdale, I'd use the Woolpack or the Brook House Inn (well I wouldn't, as I have a house there, but you know what I mean...)
mike123 - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: the cottage in the woods Whinlatter , a bit posh but not over the top, great food
BelleVedere on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Edradour:

a) how is the Drunken duck not a posh pub? with nice meals and touch of luxuary?

b) I sorry i didn't realise marriage suddenly made ones personality and preferences change - although presumably this might be a problem if you suddenly find your husband is no longer luxurious enough :P
dale1968 - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:Rented in Troutbeck, which is nice
graeme jackson - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:
Greenbanks country house hotel in Borrowdale. Actually, this is exactly what we did for our honeymoon in 1987 :-)
My Gravity on 29 Jan 2013
Which area would people recommend as a base? So far I've seen one vote for Eskdale which looks good for Skafell Pike.

If you had a week, would you spend it there? We're planning on just walking and possibly canoeing (?).

Cheers!
Pete Ford on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Twenty years ago we stayed in a little cottage in Chapel Style for our honeymoon...we did have our two oldest children with us though, so a romantic hotel was out of the question. We've been back a few times since, but we've still got our younger kids with us...so romantic hotel still out of the question!

Pete
Marcus Tierney - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: I had my honeymoon in Cockermouth truly! I did at the Trout Hotel and thats not a slur on my wife!. My friend stayed at this place for his anniversary and apart from banging his head on the ceiling he said it was very nice. http://www.thelookoutkeswick.co.uk
biscuit - on 29 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

Another vote for cottage in the woods. Not stayed there but the food is lovely. The King's Head at Thirlspot used to have a lovely 4 poster room. My Wife and i spent the first few days of our married life there.
icnoble on 31 Jan 2013
jcharles - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity:

A suite in 'The Samling', and spend the week meandering (or sheltering from the rain).
Frank4short - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to My Gravity: Check out Wasdale Yurt. Stayed in the B&B adjacent to it a few years ago. Basically it's extremely plush definitely good for a few nights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.