/ recommend a good bivvy bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ste_b1978 - on 30 Jan 2013
I'm after a good Bivvy bag that is good In snow holes, lightweight, breathable, waterproof, not too expensive and can be used on expeditions. Thanks in advance.
rabthecairnterrier - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

I have a Rab Storm which I've used to sleep out on the hill here in the Highlands (albeit in summer) and as a sleeping bag cover when bothying year-round, often with a down bag. No condensation at all if your face is uncovered, a fair amount if you're completely zipped in but I suspect that would be the same with any bivi. Weight around 500g and can be had for 60 - 70 or therabouts. I've had mine about 4 years now.
Theeni - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

I have a spare Terra Nova bivvy bag that I bought for a trip when I forgot my other one. Perfect condition 70 posted? PM me if you want a picture
jonnie3430 - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

http://www.alpkit.com/hunka I've used it quite a few times now and it's been excellent.
Ron Walker - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Ste_b1978)
>
> http://www.alpkit.com/hunka I've used it quite a few times now and it's been excellent.

I second that and now rarely use my expensive Gortex ones...
Nigel Modern on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: Another vote for the Hunka, dry inside at all times and very light. You might find the larger one more useful - the standard I have is barely large enough for a medium sized man and definitely not large enough to have the sleeping mat on the inside.

I also have a Rab Ridge Raider which is brilliant but quite expensive. The beauty of the Rab is that it is essentially a one man tent and mine weighs 800g without pegs and the bag, neither of which are needed out in the hills.
CarolineMc - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)
> [...]
>
> I second that and now rarely use my expensive Gortex ones...

I third that!! Mine's ace. One thing I'd have done though, if I'd known, was to buy an XL one - I've got a monster down sleeping bag so the whole thing can feel a little bit tight. For the extra little bit of cash and weight it'd be worth it, especially to put your clothes inside to keep them from freezing! Co:
teh_mark - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

I fourth the Hunka suggestion, although I can't say that I've had any size-related issues with the regular one (as a 5'9 man). Although it is definitely too small to fit a regular size sleeping mat inside, unfortunately.
Jack Finney - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to teh_mark:

I have a Rab Storm bivi for sale here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=536912&v=1#x7200456
leeangell - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:

Another vote for the Hunka, although if I'm going to be in a situation where I need to put my mattress on the inside of the bag I have an ex army gortex jobby, heavier but much more room and cheap.
Indy - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:
But its got a bloody great big hole in it!
alasdair19 on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: I have a gore tex Exchange one , its excellent. I have also used blizzard bags extensivly. Could be handy for summit pushes stylee
Ste_b1978 - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: Thanks for the info everyone looks like the alpkit hunka is the winner, the XL version is sold out, howtughtis the normal size?
jonnie3430 - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:
> (In reply to Ste_b1978) Thanks for the info everyone looks like the alpkit hunka is the winner, the XL version is sold out, howtughtis the normal size?

I found it fine. I don't use the roll mat in the bivi bag (tends to put holes in the bivi bag,) idea and don't use a massive sleeping bag (I wear my clothes when it gets cold.) I'm 5 foot 8 and 75 kg.
Ste_b1978 - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978: ha sorry that last word is "how tight is the normal hunka"
tk421 on 01 Feb 2013
ads.ukclimbing.com
Nigel Modern on 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Ste_b1978:
> (In reply to Ste_b1978) Thanks for the info everyone looks like the alpkit hunka is the winner, the XL version is sold out, howtughtis the normal size?

I'm 5'9" and even with a pretty compact down bag I can't sleep comfortably with a 3/4 length lightweight self-inflator inside (Alpkit's own) but standard is fine as long as you don't mind the mattress outside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.