/ Central Scotland, Stirling / Perth area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flinticus - on 31 Jan 2013
Folks, weather looking OK for Saturday (please don't change), so, what are the minor roads like? Here in Glasgow where the snow doesn't really fall, or stick around long if it does, its hard to get an idea of what its like out beyond the city confimes or off the main A roads.

Is the far end of Glen Lyon beyond reasonable non-four wheel drive expectation? I know a lot of the minor roads in central area, Stirling & Perth were fairly impassable / closed at the weekend.
tony on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm in Crieff. All the minor roads here are very clear - the speed and effectiveness of the thaw has been something to behold. The main problem on the roads is flooding.
In reply to tony:
Thanks. Usual Thursday / Friday assessment & planning, probably followed by a dramatically revised weather forecast Friday evening & a rapid change of plan Saturday morning.
tony on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Be prepared to get wet, even if it's just your feet that get wet. It's tipping it down right now, and the hills are already sodden.

Although having said that, Ben Vorlich wouldn't be too badly affected, nor would Schiehallion.
In reply to tony:
Wet. Yes. Unfortnately. Its been mega-raining here too. My cycle in to work was fun (you get soaked so quickly, keeping dry ceases to be a concern).

Looking at something smaller (er, short day (feeling lazy)).

Where abouts the snow line? Sone of the prospective walks entail a few miles bog walk at about 400m. Don't really want that if the snow is that low.
Neil Pratt - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Although it's raining where I am out Kirkintilloch way, there's a hint of snow on the upper slopes of the Campsies, so I'd suspect there's the potential for a fair bit of new snow, even on the lower hills in the South and Central Highlands. Gaiters (or wellies) might be the order of the day lower down though!
jjmacewan - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Ditch_Jockey:

Ochils getting some new snow right now, just a dusting so far, down to about 500m. Planning on a run later today up Ben Ledi, be sticking the Sealkinz socks on.
In reply to jjmacewan:
I've got a pair of Rocky goretex socks which do a great job too.

Saturday could be a day of many options (Friday will then be spent waivering between them).
JohnnyW - on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Tell me about it - Had promised weekend off due to having been away every weekend for ever ;), but light winds on Sat...... hmmmmm
(Live in Stirling, so similar options....)
In reply to JohnnyW:
Haha! I didn't go out the last two weekends so I've Saturday at my disposal.

Even then I managed to spend a good few hours Sat & Sun at the wall.
ads.ukclimbing.com
tony on 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
>
> Where abouts the snow line? Sone of the prospective walks entail a few miles bog walk at about 400m. Don't really want that if the snow is that low.

There's still snow on Torlum, just west of here, which is 393m, and I think the rain we're getting is falling as snow a bit higher up - I can just about see the Ochils, and they do seem to be getting a bit whiter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.