/ Yorkshire Dales Gorge Scrambles/Canyoning?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tallsteve - on 03 Feb 2013
Yep, I'm off to the Dales with some teenagers, and I'm looking for a decent gorge scramble or canyoning route to get them interested (if I use the "walk" word we're doooomed). I know the lakes is nearby, but there must be a decent route in the Dales. We are likely to be on the West side near Settle/Ingleton, though a drive for a good route is always possible.

Not wanting to be too descriptive, but a few big jumps would be nice!

If you don't want to advertise your secret route on the very public web then please PM me.:-)

Cheers!
Mausman. - on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

Strans Gill is the only thing that springs to mind, Its about grade 2 with a pitch of diff climbing which is easily avoidable. I did it during a dry spell so there was almost no water at all in it.

Its near the village of hubberholme in wharfedale. A search will give you grid ref etc. The walk in is a piece of cake aswell, Have fun!

tallsteve - on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:
Looks good. Thanks!
Andy Syme - on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve: Goredale Scar (up or down) and Malaham are always a great route.

I have done Goredale in all weathers and with kids, dogs and on my own. Great fun and looks far more impressive and difficult than it is.
dunnyg - on 03 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve: There are a few listed in the back of the newest yorkshire limestone guidebook.
Simon Caldwell - on 04 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

Will you have wetsuits?
MHutch - on 04 Feb 2013
In reply to tallsteve:

How Stean Gorge has scrambling/canyoning - but you can't just rock up and have free fun, so will probably not be what you're looking for.
Gavin - on 04 Feb 2013
In reply to MHutch:

What about Ease Gill? This has a few interesting bits if you do the full length from the caving hut upwards and includes a short pitch, traversing above pools and a 'cave' behind a waterfall that'll you'll benefit from the use of headtorches to see where you're going.

Gavin
tallsteve - on 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Toreador:
We can have a wet suit - we particularly like the wet stuff.
tallsteve - on 04 Feb 2013
In reply to dunnyg:
Sadly I don't yet have the latest Yorkshire guide book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.