ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - 2 month trip - what level of improvement could I expect?

papashango - on 06 Feb 2013
Hi all

Looking for advice from others who have been on long/sustained climbing expeditions. Most of my climbing experience is single day trad/bouldering - very limited sport climbing.

Flights are booked for a 9 week sport climbing trip in Asia this summer/autumn.

Last March I had 10 days sport climbing in Spain (Siurana), first real outdoor climbing experience (apart from a day at a quarry in the Peak), and onsighted a couple of 6b's. Did lots of 6a and 5+. Didn't really try anything harder. I had been climbing around 6 months at that point.

Right now I am projecting 7a indoors. I climb roughly the same level outdoor as I do indoor (at least that was the case last March). I've got 12 days in Sicily in March, aiming to onsight a 6c and climb a 7a.

Aiming to be onsighting 7a and climbing 7b by the end of my summer trip.

I'm going to enjoy myself and enjoy the climbing/places etc. not obsess over the grades I'm climbing. Nevertheless I am pretty competitive with myself and like to set goals/targets. Also the first time I will have a lot of time to concentrate on climbing solely.

Currently climbing 3-5 times a week indoors, only the odd day tradding/bouldering outdoors as I'm at uni nowhere near any real rock.! Also training for an ultramarathon which is taking a lot of my time and energy, after this in April I can concentrate more on my climbing.

Any advice would you give for the trip?
Are my goals reasonable? What level of increase did you find when on long trips?

Cheers!

... not showing 10 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums