/ Wall Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ciderslider - on 06 Feb 2013
I've been doing loads of training at my local wall over winter and have been using a stirling gym rope . I've recently taken alot of good leader falls on it. Quite alot are in the region of 10+ feet (yes I know they always feel alot bigger than they actually are!).
I've been told that this represents a really small fall factor and that I can carry on using the rope for a good while yet.
Just wondered what happens to it when its had enough (does it just lose its stretch ??)
Ciderslider - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: I'm about 12stone and the rope was new about a year ago. Use it about twice a week and now fall off on average 2-3 times a session (admit that most of these are little ones).
sam - on 06 Feb 2013
I replace my wall rope every year regardless of its condition. It gets used 2-3 times per week over the winter and see's a fair few 'whippers'. The only wear I've noticed with my ropes is on the section that always meets the clip, so I buy 50m ropes then I can cut them down a couple of times.
Tiberius - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

I've never heard of a rope breaking at an indoor wall. Well I once saw a demo where a rep sat on a rope and started cutting through the outer cover and pinging all the inner core until only one was left...it still didn't break, but he wasn't doing anything dynamic.
Tiberius - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to sam:
> I replace my wall rope every year regardless of its condition.

I replace mine when I lose it :) ...which tends to be about the same frequency as you :)
trouserburp - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

If you feel thin bits when you run it through it's time to think about changing it. Often they're near the ends, due to the knots I think, so sometimes you can just chop the end off.

3m fall high up the wall will do virtually nothing to it, 3m fall onto first bolt will have an effect as a much bigger shock (can probably still take a hundred of them though).
ads.ukclimbing.com
Ciro - on 06 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:
> (In reply to Ciderslider) I'm about 12stone and the rope was new about a year ago. Use it about twice a week and now fall off on average 2-3 times a session (admit that most of these are little ones).

My ropes will probably take more like 20-30 falls in a typical gym session, and one or two of those will be pulling a whole bunch of slack and not clipping to get a big one. I'll usually cut the ends several times before I bin the rope... it'll have long since lost most of its elasticity, but I don't mind that as long as I've got a decent belayer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.