/ Geneva car hire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CurlyStevo - on 08 Feb 2013
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a car hire company near Geneva Airport? Looking for something with Winter tyres and chains and not too much expense.

Thanks,
Stephen
GridNorth - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Try Rentalcars.com. Hiring on the French size is cheaper than the Swiss but can be inconvenient. It does not include the Swiss motorway carnet and when I did it I was delayed because the French/Swiss border was closed for an hour. The border by the way is just a door in the airport hall.
blurty - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I always use europcar, but book via auto-europe.co.uk & get the car from the swiss side of the airport
philboy - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Try http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/. I've used them lots of times with no problem, they use hertz at geneva airport and are normally give the best quote. Chains and winter tyres are standard.
ads.ukclimbing.com
kenr - on 08 Feb 2013
I heard that at one time the best deal was to book on-inline thru Euro-something, then pick up the car at Balexert, big shopping center in Switzerland a short bus ride from the airport.

If you rent on the French side, note that many of the French cars do not come with snow tyres or chains -- and almost none have a "vignette" for legal driving on the Switz motorways.

I've also heard that the Switz police are getting more frequent at enforcing against the obvious way to sneak onto the Switz motorway by way of St-Julien-en-Genevois.

Getting from the French Alps to GVA airport without using the motorway at all is somewhat tricky. I have a special track for that route stored in my GPS, but even with that aid it can feel exciting trying to get through it in the dark (? in the rain ?) to catch an early-morning flight.

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.