/ advice on avalanche risks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gjardine - on 08 Feb 2013
I was thinking of going up to Stob Coire Nan Lochan on sunday and having a go at Twisting Gully. Looking at the topo, it looks like there might be bit of a cornice at the top. Can anyone give me their opinion on the risk of avalanche there.
whispering nic - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to gjardine:

Have look here
http://www.sais.gov.uk/latest-forecasts.asp

There is a considerable risk of avalanches there on Saturday
to quote
Increased instabilities will develop in all windslab as the thaw sets in and the snowpack becomes wet. Greatest accumulations of windslab are on North-East through East to South aspects above 800 metres where avalanches are likely. Instabilities will also be present on other aspects. Cornices will be unstable and prone to collapse. The avalanche hazard will be Considerable.

What happens on Sunday depends on this information plus what the weather does between now and then. You should perhaps try to educate yourself about how avalanches occur rather than asking on a public forum where you may get uninformed responses or wild guesses!
Cameron94 on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to whispering nic:
> (In reply to gjardine)
>
> You should perhaps try to educate yourself about how avalanches occur rather than asking on a public forum where you may get uninformed responses or wild guesses!

+1
Try to get hold of a book that takes an in depth (pun not intended) look at why avalanches occur and preventing them. The MTA winter skills book is good; it covers the majority of stuff you need to know for mountaineering. http://www.mountain-training.org/books/winter-skills

and the must read for Scottish avalanches would be a chance in a million
http://www.smc.org.uk/publications/?ID=30

Have a search through waterstones and you should find them no problem.
jas wood - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to gjardine: Been hit by a rather large powder avalanche on the very samll route which i beleive was caused by a strong wind depositing loose snow on one side of the funnel as we were climbing it. Unless you know better if there is a doubt there is no doubt.

Jason
mattrm - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to gjardine:

If you have to ask on an internet forum what the avalanche risk might be then you probably shouldn't be going out on your own. Get a couple of days training with a MIC or Guide, they'll teach you what you need to know. I'm sure your life is worth a couple of hundred quid. That's all it'll cost.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Milesy - on 08 Feb 2013
In reply to gjardine:
> I was thinking of going up to Stob Coire Nan Lochan on sunday and having a go at Twisting Gully. Looking at the topo, it looks like there might be bit of a cornice at the top. Can anyone give me their opinion on the risk of avalanche there.

There is a risk of avalanche there. There might be on Sunday or there might not be. As said it is a fairly serious route and if you are on grade III you should really be knowing what you are doing in regards to avalanches and able to make your own decisions and risk assessment. It has to be warm on saturday and then getting colder again and then fresh snow coming in on Sunday on SE to E winds. Twisting Gully has snow on multiple aspects.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.