/ Comparing forecasted and observed weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MtnGeekUK - on 10 Feb 2013
Hi,

Does anyone know of a site where I can compare a forecast and the actual observed weather for a given location and date (say a couple of months ago)?

Surely there's an archive somewhere?
Pursued by a bear - on 10 Feb 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK: No. But out of interest, why?

T.
MtnGeekUK - on 10 Feb 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Basically, bit sad - want to add to my ML logbook to show difference between a plan to go out somewhere and what actually happened.

As we all know, sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't! All experience is a good thing!

inboard - on 11 Feb 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK:
the Met Office website has this archive information for the sites they make observations from.
duchessofmalfi - on 14 Feb 2013
If you want an archive for observed weather than the Met Office.

I don't think anyone archives <forecasts> for public access (and forecasters like the Met change the forecast throughout the day) - I presume this is (a) because not many people are interested in old weather forecasts and (b) it would reveal how accurate they are!

You could ask MWIS if they keep their forecasts.

Simon Caldwell - on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

MWIS forecasts are archived, eg http://mwis.org.uk/ld.php?fdate=130213
ads.ukclimbing.com
Milesy - on 14 Feb 2013
Remember though the forecasts for each date change and get more accurate until the day arrives so they will probably be accurate for when the forecast was updated the night before or the morning of the day so that doesn't really you tell you much about the forecasting accuracy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.