/ The weather is really shaping up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tony the Blade on 12 Feb 2013

All the snow and freeze/thaw cycles over the past week or so are leading to a great week of winter sport in a fortnight - fingers crossed!

Or am I reading it wrong?
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Scotland that is, Glencoe area.
Neil Pratt - on 12 Feb 2013

The long-term forecast is cautiously optimistic about 'colder than average' conditions towards the end of February, so you may well be right - it's certainly looking pretty good at the moment :-)
iksander on 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: I hope the forecast for the Cairngorms next week is wrong - looks pants at the moment http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Cairngorm/forecasts/1234
LakesWinter on 12 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander: There are 2 options in the forecast at the moment. All the main weather computer models are flipping about run to run. High pressure will be involved - subtle changes in the positioning will drastically affect the weather we experience. Anything more than 120 hours ahead is Just For Fun and liable to massive changes. In fact, at the moment anything after friday is merely an educated guess.
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to iksander) There are 2 options in the forecast at the moment. All the main weather computer models are flipping about run to run. High pressure will be involved - subtle changes in the positioning will drastically affect the weather we experience. Anything more than 120 hours ahead is Just For Fun and liable to massive changes. In fact, at the moment anything after friday is merely an educated guess.

Oh I am fully aware of this, hence the fingers crossed line.

I've obviously given it the kiss of death as well, by stating that it's shaping up. ;-)
iksander on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: MWIS: "Milder weather, particularly over the weekend and perhaps into next week will bring sustained thaw of lying snow to all mountain areas."

Sob!
droites - on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Monkey_Alan - on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander:
I'm choosing to ignore the mwis in favour of yr.no:
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Ben_Nevis/long.html

Much nicer forecast.
Liam Brown - on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:

Little warmer now. Going up recently there appears to be quite a lot of snow and so I thought that a quick thaw would be useful, allow some more ice to form and set us up nicely for the next few weeks. My understanding of good weather for scottish winter isn't very good. This is only really my second season.
Monkey_Alan - on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Liam Brown:
I'm not that experienced either, but they seem to be in favour of the weekend (partial) thaw, then refreeze, which sounds good to me!

Of course, I don't really trust any forecast beyond about two days.
Lukeva - on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: We are in a hut near the Cairngorm NP from Sat. Sat. I really hope that something will be in winter conditions. So frustrating!
AndrewHuddart - on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander:

a mate and I have just binned a long weekend on the basis of the forecast and snow reports. Looks like there's lots of windslab around, covered in fresh snow followed by rapid temperature rise. No thanks.
Tony the Blade on 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Lukeva:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade) We are in a hut near the Cairngorm NP from Sat. Sat. I really hope that something will be in winter conditions. So frustrating!

Are you at Rothiemurcus? The Joint Services mountain centre
iksander on 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: FL forecast to comedown nicely from Tuesday... everything crossed that the thaw won't last long and just settle things down for the rest of the week
Tony the Blade on 20 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander:

Still looking like it's all setting up for a mammoth week - next week!

I can't believe that the week I choose is looking good!

*I know there's still a lot can happen twix now and next week, but, hey-ho!*
tallpaulselfridge - on 21 Feb 2013

We're both in the same camp. Seriously hoping the weather will hold as I've booked next week to play in Glencoe. If it does hold it should be an excellent week :)
Tony the Blade on 21 Feb 2013
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> We're both in the same camp. Seriously hoping the weather will hold as I've booked next week to play in Glencoe. If it does hold it should be an excellent week :)

Snap - we're staying in Ballachulish for the week. Can't wait!
Just a bhoy - on 21 Feb 2013

This from the ususllly cautious MWIS, Up in Glen Affric next weekend, hope it holds!! Looking good.

Almost negligible precipitation across the mountains over the next week or possibly a fortnight. With high pressure persistent in the vicinity of Scotland, winds will often be light, and there will be periods when higher summits are above an inversion - in bright sunshine and outstandingly clear air. These conditions will be most widespread across the Scottish Highlands, particularly the northwest.
SCC - on 21 Feb 2013

Have I mentioned that you're a git?

No?

You're a git.

Have a great time!

Si
ads.ukclimbing.com
iksander on 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: You were right Tony, what a week!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.