/ Best time to climb in portland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dan tipper - on 21 Feb 2013
what is the weather normally like during Easter holidays in Portland ?
mutt - on 21 Feb 2013
In reply to dan tipper:

if you are talking about portland in dorset then its great all year round. was there last weekend climbing in tee-shirt. Just choose which cliff to climb on based on the wind direction. It also seems to escape many of the rain showers that effect the mainland.
Phil79 - on 21 Feb 2013
In reply to dan tipper:

On Portland (Dorset) or in Portland (US)?

The former is a 'year round' venue, you can climb in shorts and t-shirt in February given a sunny day and the right crag choice/wind direction. Rock generally dries fairly quickly.

As to what the weather will be like, based on last year - who knows?

ads.ukclimbing.com
The Ex-Engineer - on 21 Feb 2013
In reply to dan tipper: Portland (Dorset) can be amazing from March onwards as soon as the is a bit of sunshine and a light wind. There are loads of South, SW and West facing crags that are suntraps with midday and afternoon sun. Early season, I'd advocate a leisurely start to let the rock warm up as much as possible.

As regards weather, Portland is notorious for having a bit of its own micro-climate. It can be amazing and positively Mediterranean, or equally it can be absolutely bloody miserable, foggy and rain lashed.

You cannot rely on the forecast or even the weather in nearby Weymouth to be a guide for what is happening on the S/SW of the Isle. Pretty much the only only option is to go there (or phone a local).

Pretty much anything could happen at Easter. You could bask in sunshine for a week or equally get rained on every day. That said, I'd happily plan an Easter trip to Portland provided I still had a car available so I could bail to Swanage for the day or completely up sticks to Devon in extremis.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.