/ Moving to Canada?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lewismansell - on 21 Feb 2013
I'm looking to move to Canada for 6 months over the next Winter period, just working anything I can get to keep money coming in so I can go skiing and mountaineering in my time off. I had originally planned to head to Whistler as 2 of my friends are headed there [they're more into biking and boarding], but it doesn't seem that Whistler is a fantastic place for mountaineering. Any suggestions on other places to check out with nearby peaks above 3,000m ?
Olli-C - on 21 Feb 2013
In reply to lewismansell: Try looking at; Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper
dunnyg - on 21 Feb 2013
In reply to lewismansell: Mountaineering in canada in the winter is pretty full on. Go for some ice climbing instead.
STWright - on 22 Feb 2013
In reply to lewismansell:

Canmore is the place to stay, Banff is mega is you're up for some serios partying but getting decent accom is hard. Also Canmore is a little cheaper and the ski resorts are between 20 and 45 min drive. Ice climbing is in abundance with Junkyards on your door step, WI 2-3 and is an absolute play ground for ice. You also have loads more to go at all season long, all within a max 1 hour drive and normally a short walk in. Personally I'd say the mountaineering is just as serious as any other mountainous area but again loads of stuff to go at from easy plods to serious long routes.

Enjoy, it's a awesome place to live and enjoy the hills!

Si
Jonny2vests - on 22 Feb 2013
In reply to lewismansell:

Greetings from Vancouver. There's plenty of mountaineering around Whistler and the Coast & Cascade mountains in general. There's also alpine terrain on Vancouver Island.

Canmore has much better ice and better mountaineering though and your money will go further. The ski touring is not as good though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.