Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Low vis bolts - any use?

planaire - on 23 Feb 2013
Hi, I'm developing a low visibility load bearing fixing system for conservation sensitive sites. The originally envisaged use was for venues that required easily rigged/derigged lighting with minimal visual impact when not in use. But the system has applications in any situation for which a low visibility anchor is required.

What I've come up with is an expansion bolt with a face that easily and safely locks and unlocks to a receiving unit. The exposed part of the expansion bolt is low relief and can take a number of durable finishes - brick, concrete, stone... etc. Dependant upon the surface (the more uneven the better) they can be very difficult to spot, even up close.

I'm already looking at the potential for use as anchors for roped access in the built environment, but the system could just as easily be used to protect bolted rock climbs.

Advantages:

- Very low visual impact.

- The bolts would offer no protection to anyone climbing without the necessary receiving units, so bolted and traditional routes could exist side by side.

Disadvantages:

- Cost! For the time being they're likely to be prohibitively expensive.

I'm wondering whether there'd be sufficient demand to invest time developing a climbing specific version of this concept?
... not showing 11 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums