/ Chew Wildeness gullies or Crowden Wildboar/Shining

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BnB - on 24 Feb 2013
Thinking of heading to one of these destinations for a half day outing tomorrow (Monday). Anyone scoped out conditions lately? I wouldn't expect any neve but is there any decent ice? Thanks
mattwomersley - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to BnB:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70824012@N04/

Wildboar Clough from this morning. Lots of water running behind all ice lower pitches ok upper was looking too dodgy for me so retreated at half height! Shining Clough looked to have ice in the upper section but only saw this from the Woodhead Road. Hope this helps :-)
Wheelsy - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to BnB:

Been out on the northern side of Kinder today in Nether Red Brook, wasn't as much ice in the brook as I'd expected but the snow around was absolutely bomber - had more fun heading up some random snowy gullies than in the brook itself.
BnB - on 24 Feb 2013
Thanks for the very helpful feedback guys Pictures too!! What more could one ask for?

So it might not be a complete waste of time to venture forth. Ice doesn't look that well bonded to the rock, mind. I suppose I could take a look and, if it looks worthwhile getting tools out, maybe set up a top rope for soloing with prussic/clove hitch combination for self belay.
ads.ukclimbing.com
BnB - on 25 Feb 2013
In reply to BnB: Update:

Took a stroll up to the two main Wilderness Gullies. Ice is almost fully in condition but only fat in parts, and just a little wet in the upper reaches. Managed to fashion a climb out what was available anyway, so well worth the effort. Don't expect the Daille cascade, mind... this is Oldham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.